- CHAPTER FOUR

EDEN

{ trigger warning:
violence
and
self-harm }

THE FALL FROM EDEN

      "What aren't you telling me?" Ayesha stormed into Celestia's office after Eve had revealed the truth. Such lies are treason in Ayesha's eyes. To lie about Eve and risk her life made Ayesha angry.

The scientist ceased everything she was doing once Ayesha came closer. The High Priestess lowered her eyes to see files in Celestia's hands. Beneath her sat a machine, tearing papers into shreds. Celestia's complexion was pale, and sweat rolled down her forehead as she returned to destroying the evidence. There wasn't any more time.

"What are you doing?" Ayesha held onto the lip of Celestia's desk, taking in the mess of what used to be organization.

Celestia sniffed, looking up at the clock on her wall while the file she held went through the machine.

"The High Evolutionary is coming for Eve," Celestia tells Ayesha with a shaky breath. "He found out everything."

"What.....haven't you told me?" Ayesha questioned in shock, holding her stomach at the thought of High Evolutionary taking Eve away. If that is the case, he'd use Eve to her limits or break her apart to study everything about her. The image of it all made Ayesha's stomach churn.

Celestia fell back into her chair, throwing the rear of her head to rest against the back of it. The look of defeat was written all over her face. Her eyes fluttered shut while tears flowed—tears of failure.

"My team and I fabricated every document to keep Eve safe. I lied about her progress and her abilities. He believed she wasn't worth his time because I wanted to keep her safe. That girl has immense power. I have never seen something like it before."

Ayesha listened carefully.

"She's our savior..." Celestia opened her eyes to look at Ayesha. "....and I love her just as you do. I couldn't allow harm to her. She deserves better than this."

"Why did you keep this from me?" Ayesha whispered.

"Because I wanted to protect you too, Ayesha. We need you, I need you. If he knew that you also kept this all a secret, he'd kill you too."

With some effort, Celestia stood to her feet.

"What should we do then?" Ayesha reached out for Celestia, taking her by the arm, begging to know the next move. If Eve is, in fact, in danger, she needs to get away or some protection.

Celestia grabbed a shoulder bag from her desk and slipped it over her head. Then, she placed her hand on Ayesha's. The scientist, with sorrow, smiled at Ayesha, admiring her beauty. Snobbish, she may be, Celestia respected Ayesha. She loved her.

"You do nothing but act your part—as a High Priestess, not her mother. Protect yourself. And in return, I'll protect Eve with my life," Celestia tells Ayesha.

A silence fell, and as Celestia readied herself to leave, she leaned forward to kiss Ayesha. No longer ashamed to fully embrace her true feelings. This may be the last time she'd see Ayesha.

Celestia leaves Ayesha's side shortly after. Promising to take care of Eve.

***

"Eve.....we must leave...now."

Appending doom came over Eve as she squeezed Cassiopeia's hand. Neither of the young women had witnessed Celestia look so stressed and disheveled. Eve, believing she has done something, shields Cassiopeia.