- CHAPTER ELEVEN

EDEN

FLAW IN MY OWN DESIGN

            "Where's Eve?!" Mantis searched the area with a med-pak wrapped around her arm to fix it. That man had broken her arm without any care. She had never experienced such a brutal and straightforward person in her life. Rocket lay on the ground, mortally wounded by Adam. If Drax hadn't stopped him, more people might have gotten gravely injured.

While everyone panicked, due to Rocket going into cardiac arrest, Peter felt a rush of fear. All Peter Quill did was place a Med-Pak onto Rocket, unknowingly causing his kill chip implanted inside of him to switch on. This chip was placed into many experiments, and if someone attempted to cause any damage to any experiment made by the High Evolutionary, they'd die.

"He took her!" Kraglin shouts, running into the room behind Nebula. Kraglin, a Xandrian, was Peter's oldest friend. The pair grew up together, and he, like many of the Guardians—was a misfit as well. "That guy took her."

Peter furrowed his brows, horrified by the fact. Mantis whimpered. The two women had grown close to the point of calling each other best friends. Learning Eve had been taken worried her.

"We can't just sit here," Nebula huffed, snapping the half-siblings out of their dazed trances.

"Right. We need to get him to the Med Bay," Peter says, picking up Rocket to carry him in his arms.

"No, " Nebula shook her head. "It was destroyed...but there is one on the ship! We should go!"

The three quickly ran with Kraglin following closely behind them. Outside, Drax is helped up by a nearby citizen, and the man does his best to follow behind his friends. His head pounds and his body aches, but Drax being the man he is, pushes through it. Rocket is in trouble. His pain did not matter.

As the group hurried to the Docking Bay, the orb that belonged to Eve suddenly rotated, becoming aware that neither Eve nor Adam was close by. Panicked, the orb zooms out of Eve's room. Before the others could reach the Docking Bay fully, the orb ceased with a stillness in front of them. All of their eyes widen at the sight, never seeing the orb do anything but sit unmoving.

Now, it glowed brightly, silent at first. As if it is examining them. Questioning if it can trust them.

"Save Eve," the orb called out, making up its mind. "We have to protect her."

Nebula, not having time for this, attempts to reach for the object. But it darts away from her touch. Letting out a groan, the blue-skinned woman barked for the others to keep moving. Ignore the object. However, once they continued down the rigidity path toward the ship, the orb followed. Stopping right in front of them again.

"We have to save Eve. Please," the orb spoke, this time terror was expressed through its breathy voice. Peter moves past it, not caring what it has to say. His best friend is dying and the last thing he needed was to lose any more seconds. If they are to save Rocket, life support is needed. Eve can be saved later.