Tumor

Mornings. 

I hate mornings.

There is absolutely nothing worse than morning— I take that back. School mornings are the worse. Having to wake up super early, eating breakfast which usually make me feel nauseous and then school. I hate it but today I got up earlier than usual. If I hadn't spoken with Xavier and gone straight to sleep, maybe, just maybe it wouldn't be so bad. But that's in the past and I have to deal with those consequences now.

Anyway, since I woke up early I figured I would be eating alone. Turns out Dusty was also awake. He was 'baking' Cinnabons for the entire family.

"Good morning, Em. You're up early." Dusty greeted, smiling at me as I took a seat on the kitchen island chairs.

"Morning." I muttered, after yawing and resting my head on the counter. I was able to hear Dusty move around the  room and the clatters of plates.

"Here, fresh from the oven."

Picking my head up I spotted a plate with a cinnamon bun on it. And it look oddly similar to Cinnabons.

   "Thanks?"

It's been years since I've had any sugar for breakfast. I wonder how dad would react to seeing me eat this.

"What? You don't like Cinnabons."

"Its not that." I hesitant took a bite to show it really wasn't. I appreciate the gesture of him making breakfast. The more bites I took any guilt of going against my dad faded. Dad only ever buys sweets like this on special occasions as treats.

   "Oh, good morning, Dusty. Good morning, sweetie." Dad addressed us as he came down the stairs. I muttered a small, 'Good morning, dad,' pushing the plate away from me. I could tell from one look he was questioning what I was doing with it.

   "Hey."

   "You're up and at 'em."

Dusty beamed at dad going to the other side of the kitchen to grab the cinnamon buns. Dusty explained he's been up for a while. His routine was a lot more impressive than we imaged.

Dad and I shared a appalled gaze. Sure, he had a great physic especially for someone his age. But, I mean, getting up early to run twenty miles, that's beyond impressive. And so was doing the twenty miles.

   "Good morning, gang."

Dad patted my back taking my plate and setting it on the table. I sighed picking my phone from the counter and took my seat on the edge of the table.

"Our real dad's a super-duper good cook!" Dylan complemented.

Dad and Dusty neared the table. Dad took a seat opposite of Dylan as Dusty set their breakfast down. Having my seat on the edge of the table it gave me a clear view of my dad and step-siblings on the other side.

"Yeah, it looks awful lot like Cinnabons." Dad observed.

I nodded taking my piece and coating it with some extra frosting from the bun.

Dusty gladly took the compliment thanking dad. While dad didn't drop the topic and kept comparing Dusty's baked goods and Cinnabons.

The comparison came to an end as Sara came down to the dinning area.

"Good morning, Sar-bear!" Dusty got an 'off' glance before his ex-wife replied with a, 'morning.'

"Hey, listen, guys, brad and I had a talk last night about the importance of family. And now that everyone's here, I wanted to say a few words, okay?"