Together Christmas

It's been only a few years and Dusty and dad were living great. Sure, there was a little bit of rivalry, but all friendly fire. The whole going back and forth thing did get tense sometimes, but again, friendly fire. Here's the thing I don't get; why do I have to go back and forth? I mean, I'm still not certain if Dusty qualifies as my step-dad or anything. I don't mind visiting him at his place it's just a genuine question that I've been to shy to ask.

Speaking of shy, I don't hold back as much as before. I actually speak and engage in conversations. Pretty neat if you ask me.

One thing that I do like between this whole new-and-improved relationship between dad and Dusty is the holiday's. I get double presents because of having to switch between them. The first few times I felt bad since I didn't really consider Dusty close to be gifting me thing as if he were my dad.

"Well, isn't this just adorable." Dad cooed, showing me the hand-made card that had 'One horse open sing' written in the front.

It was Christmas again and the kids had this little show on it. Megan and Dylan would be singing with their class, which really brought me back to my younger days. Dad would videotape everything when we had these events. I'm glad I don't have to do that anymore.

"Daddy! Karen!" Dyson exclaimed rushing over to Dusty from the other side of the hall.

As we neared I went to greet the pair. Dusty gave me the usual hug while I lingered around Karen. Man, she's so great and pretty and great.

I don't even know what Sara was talking to her about. she was totally blocked out. It's just this vibe Karen has, a charm to her where I look at her and everything tunes out. She's so amazing being a doctor and my favorite author. Dusty is one lucky man to have her.

My time with her sadly came to an end as the annual Christmas show was about to commence. We went our separate ways dropping off Megan and Dylan before going to our seats.

The nice lady introduced the show which I'm sure everyone— like me— ignored and waited for the kids.

Seconds after the lady finished speaking the curtains lifted. Megan and Dyson were at the front happily singing. They looked so gleeful and— and Megan had her shirt turned to a crop top. My gaze wondered to Sara then back to Megan. I shrugged it off continuing to enjoy the show.

"Megan Mayron." The lady called. The kids had been telling what Christmas means to them. A sweet little gesture to add to the show.

"My name is Megan Mayron and I like Christmas presents a lot." Laughter came from the family and others at her innocent response. "But I don't really like Christmas."

I glanced over to dad and Dusty. They had their phones and tablet down realizing the impact they've made on the kids. Anyone that said they don't like Christmas— and not because of religious reason— were seen as weirdos. Or it was a clear indication something going on back home. Which she did share. She mentioned how it was like having Christmases with and without daddies.

Yup, what a great way to start the holiday.

———

"People of Bikini Bottom."

SpongeBob, who doesn't love that cartoon? It was only recently that dad let me watch it with the kids. He always said it was underlining some bad messages but this is great.

I have been mi— Oh, Dusty's here. And so is dad and Sara. Dusty had turned the screen off finally getting our attention. It wouldn't be the first time we were to engrossed in something and totally ignoring them. But they had smile on their faces meaning they have an announcement or something bad happened.

"Guys, I have a big surprise." Dusty said ending down to looked at us. A gleam in his eyes shined so bright at this surprise he mentioned.

"Another pony?"

"A trampoline?"

"A car?"

"You leaving?"

Not surprising that Adriana said what she did. The young girl never did like Dusty. It was like dad and the Mayron family all over again. Only this time Dusty had the help and support for a good, loving family.

Dusty glanced at Adrianna. "Not quite. Uh, no, we got something even better than that."

"So much better." Dad echoed.

"This year no more back and forth Christmases.

"We're not doing the back and forth."

"Nope. I just said that." Dusty said turning back to looked at Brad.

Dad and Dusty overlapped each other making it difficult to understand them. That is until dad mentioned something, a together Christmas, I think. Dusty finally shut dad up.

"A together Christmas like a normal family." Dusty buzzed out.

Dad excitedly nodded as I turned to look at him. That speech Megan gave sure did got them thinking. I do wonder why we never did a Christmas together. It's not like any of us are harboring anything.

Then the ringing of the phone cut us off. Megan was still happy but the rest of us were curious as to who was on the phone.

"Hello. Grandpa Kurt? Daddy, grandpa Kurt wants to talk to you." Dylan turned to his dad.

Dad and I looked at each other. He had mentioned wanting to met Dusty's father but me, I did not. If Dusty ended up like that— he has matured, I'm not referring to him now— I can't imagine what his father is like.

Sara intervened seeming nervous that Dusty's dad had called. "No, no, no. Dusty, I'll just tell him—"

Dusty held his hand out. "No. It's okay, Sara." Dusty thanked his son and took the phone. "What, dad?... Yeah, long time... No, I'm fine... Tomorrow?"

Hm, this sounds familiar.

Sara and dad's eyes widened but I bet for different reasons.

   "I could pick you up, I guess, but..." Dusty sighed. Dad had tapped Dusty on the shoulder whispering to him. That I'm probably guessing about my grandparents also coming tomorrow. Dusty shrugged him off.

   "Dad, do you want to just text... hello?" Dusty sighed, placing the phone back. Turning to us with the same look Sara had when first hearing Dusty coming home.

This is gonna be one chaotic of a Christmas, isn't it?