Dad Can't Hold His Alcohol

It's weird finding comfort in the same person you dislike. As Sara and Brad were cleaning up the living room, him and the kids spent a lot more time together plying with their new toys. Dusty had been by my side watching them. We even ended up sparking a conversation on dad being dramatic.

That was until I found out about the exact wording Dusty used when telling dad the truth. Dad's whole Christmas plan was logical now. Either way, Dusty and I complained about dad and his extreme ways all the way until we were at the game.

Dad had scored some pretty damn good seats. Too bad I'm not much of a basketball fan. Besides Dylan, the only other person that's as passionate about this was Xavier. Speaking of Xavier, he was actually sitting across the stadium with Abigail. His arm was around her as they laughed together.

Sending a quick message to Xavier, I was hoping he would at least give me some short respond, instead he looked at the screen and showed Abigail where they laughed it off.

I sighed stuffing my phone back into my pocket. Arguments are normal between friend groups. They must have a good reason to still chose to ignore me. Granted, I was doing the same thing. I hadn't even tried to speak with them until now.

   "All right, here we are." Dad said.

   "Oh, sick! We're so close?" Dylan took his seat besides his sister. I was at the end next to a strange with Sara on right. Besides her was Megan then Dylan, dad, and lastly Dusty on the other aisle. According to dad, he couldn't get seats where we all fit so he had to sit on the row beside us.

"Alright, guys, I'm right here." Dusty said slowly inching to the aisle he was in. The kids all said bye refocusing back on the players on the court.

"Look, there's Kobe! It's him! He's right there." Dylan beamed pointing at his favorite player. "Thank you, Brad, this is the best present I've ever gotten."

Dad warmly accepted Dylan's hug. Dusty had leaned to look at his son hugging dad. Dusty may be a good, and really cool person, but he deserves this. He has made dad and I feel like the outcast the second he got here. For once it felt good to see him look at the family longingly.

"How much did these seats cost?" Sara asked.

"Not too much."

I leaned toward Sara whispering, "If he bought a pony, expect these seats to be over 10 grand."

Sara's face paled. Judging by that look dad's gonna be in for an earful if these seat are that expensive. Luckily, for dad there was an announcement made about the kids from hearts of courage. Which dad, of course, loudly applauded. I believe he had done some charity work for them once.

"I just get excited when I'm with my family!" Dad boasted looking over to Dusty.

"Dusty! Dusty Mayron!" A man, I believe the coach of the team, called. Dusty immediately smiled greeting the man named Marco.

   "Hey, I played ball with him in Italy." Dusty explained. He then turned back to Marco with a smile. "This is my family. My little guy, Dylan. He's the biggest Kobe fan in the world."

"Really? Well, come on down. I'll introduce you." Marco said. "Bring the whole family down. You guys can sit with the team."

And once again, dad was being downplayed because Dusty has connection. We all got up with dad looking worried.

"Hey, this is my little girl, Megan." Dusty said lifting Megan up to have Marco help her over the seats. "She just invited me to her first daddy-daughter dance."

I averted my gaze to dad who was as shocked and upset over this. And he has ever right to be.

After Dylan was over the seat Dusty then gestured to me. "And this is my— this is Emilia."