Chapter 36- Steven's POV

I sat on my bed and waited for Belle to come back from taking care of the pack and making sure that everyone had food.

I was nervous, anxious even because I didn't know if she would come, even though she promised that she would.

However, her dog was curled up beside me sleeping, and I stared at this little creature after every time I looked at the door to see if she would come through.

'You are getting attached to her,' my human mused, and I hummed and closed my eyes, silently agreeing with him. 'How are you feeling?'

'Better,' I replied honestly. 'I don't feel as angry or anything as I had felt in the past. I don't feel...'

'...bitter?' Steven asked.

'Yes,' I replied and nodded. 'I don't feel as bitter as I had in the past.' I sighed and moved a hand through my fur. 'I don't know if it is because she had helped save me, or what, but...' I shrugged and grimaced.

He slowly nodded and hummed but didn't say a word.

There was a knock on the door, and the dog looked up and wagged her tail.

"Come in," I said, praying that it was my mate, even though my heart knew that it was her.

The door opened, and Belle stepped in with some more food. "How are you feeling, Your Majesty?" she asked, and I frowned when she called me by my title.

"Reif," I said softly, not getting mad at her for calling me by title, even though I didn't like it. "Please, call me that."

She smiled and tucked a strand of hair behind her ear while she cleared her throat. "Forgive me," she said and dipped her head. "It'll take me a while to call you by your name and not "Your Majesty.""

I nodded, feeling guilty. "I know," I said before I cleared my throat. "Please forgive me."

"I do," she replied and walked over to me with the bowl. "Here, I brought you some more food. I won't be able to stay long while you eat it because Pip needs to go pee." She looked at the dog on the bed, and the dog whined as if agreeing with her.

"Will you be back?" I asked, biting back the disappointment. I knew that she had to take care of her horse and dog, but I did want her to spend time with me so that she could realize that I wasn't the bitterness that had consumed me.

"Yes," she said and nodded. She licked her lips and looked anywhere but me, and her cheeks turned slightly red. "I'm not scared of this you," she said hesitantly while she looked at me. "I don't mind hanging around you."

My eyes grew wide, and I looked at her shocked. "You aren't?" I asked, trying but failing to keep the hope out of my voice.

Belle smiled a little and dipped her head. "I am not," she said. She cleared her throat and looked away while her cheeks turned red. "I... wasn't afraid of you before now either, except for that night..." She trailed off and cleared her throat again while she shifted on her feet

Guilt filled my chest when she said that, and my heart broke. I knew what day she was talking about, the day that I showed her the monster that I could be with no mask and only pain and fear holding me from what was in front of me.

"I am sorry, Belle," I said softly. "Please, forgive me. I did not mean to do that to you. I did not mean to scare you. I..." I trailed off and cleared my throat, not knowing how to describe the feelings that I felt in the moment.

Belle nodded. "I do," she said. She cleared her throat and looked away from me. "Now, rest. I will be back."

I slowly nodded, and she nodded and started to walk to the door with Pippa hopping down and following her.