Chapter 25- Belle

A look of shock appeared on my face, and I quickly kneeled before the Moon Goddess, my heart pounding hard in my chest. Fear and anxiety filled my system, and I prayed that she would forgive me for being rude in front of someone well known and special as her. "I am sorry, Your Highness. If I had k-"

The Moon Goddess chuckled and rested her hand on my shoulder. "Silence, Child," she softly scolded, and I closed my mouth but didn't look at her. "And stand, please. There is no need to kneel at my feet."

I hesitated but stood. I placed my hands behind my back and didn't meet her gaze. My whole body was tense, and my heart pounded hard in my chest. I had no idea why she was here, visiting me, and wondered if this had to do with the king and why he acted like such a dick.

The Moon Goddess chuckled again and lifted my chin so that I looked at her instead of the floor. Her eyes were filled with kindness and warmth while she studied me, and a soft smile was on her face. "Such a kind girl," she said, and I flicked my eyes downward when my cheeks turned red.

"There is too much pain and anger in this world already, Your Highness," I said, my voice barely above a whisper. I cleared my throat and licked my lips, making sure not to look her in the eye. "Why should I add to it?"

"Child, stop this nonsense," she scolded, and I cringed, feeling like a child being scolded by their parents. Her voice was hard and lost the softness in it, and I had a feeling that it was because I had done something she didn't like. "Look at me, for you are my equal, and do not call me "Your Highness" because you are the one with that title and not me."

I furrowed my brows in confusion and looked up at her. I cocked my head and studied her to see that she wasn't lying. "But, you are a goddess, and I am just... me," I said. I stuffed my hands into my pockets and shrugged my shoulder. "I'm not special, Y-" I caught myself before I said "Your Highness" when she gave me a pointed look.

The Moon Goddess chuckled and pushed a strand of brown hair behind my ear. "If you want to call me something, then call "Mother,"" she said. She held her hand up when I opened my mouth to say something about her not being my mother. "I know what you are going to say, but shush," she scolded, and I quickly shut my mouth because I had no idea what she would do if I didn't.

She nodded, and I could tell that she was pleased. "Good," she said. She cleared her throat and stood taller while she studied me. "You are the Luna of this pack and the queen of Werewolves. You are at the same level as me, even if it is in their eyes." An amused smile appeared on her face while she cocked her head and studied me. "If anything, it is me who should call you "Your Highness.""

I didn't respond and looked down. I had no idea what she meant by me being the Luna of this pack and the queen of the whole species, but I had a feeling it was because of my mateship with the king, even though he didn't want me.

The Moon Goddess sighed and sat down while she grew serious. Pain filled her eyes while she looked at me, and I had a feeling that she knew what I was thinking. "Sit," she said, gesturing for me to take my place again. "I think we have a lot to discuss."

I hesitated but nodded before I sat down, and she sat down in front of me. I was still tense and didn't know what to ask. My mind was blank, and a mess all at once, and all I wanted to do was find something, anything that could answer the questions that I had.

The Moon Goddess waited patiently while I tried to make sense of my jumbled thoughts. She cocked her head and studied me, giving me the persona of a friend and a mother.

I bit back a sigh and shook my head, trying to clear some of my thoughts before I made sense of them. "Did you create Hunters too?" I asked, finally, and a sad smile appeared on her face while she shook her head.

"My brother did," she said. She leaned back in her seat and sighed, growing serious. "He saw what my sister and I did, creating life that wasn't humans, and decided to make something that would kill them because he was jealous."

"Sister?" I asked, and she nodded in confirmation. I furrowed my brows and cocked my head while I studied her. "What did she create?"

"My sister, Selene, created Vampires during the time that I created Werewolves," she replied, and I nodded while I stayed silent, wondering what her brother's name was. She cleared her throat and leaned back in her seat while she studied me. A smile appeared on her lips while she cocked her head, her white eyes bright and filled with life. "My brother's name is Sol."

I furrowed my brows and nodded while I processed the information given to me, my cheeks turning red. "If I am a Hunter, why is it that my mate is a Werewolf?" I asked, asking the question that had been nagging at me in the back of my mind since I found out that I was a Hunter.

The Moon Goddess pursed her lips and folded her arms across her chest. Annoyance flashed through her eyes while her face grew darker, and I shifted in my seat, feeling uncomfortable. "That was my mother's doing," she said, and the annoyance was clear in her voice. She cleared her throat, and her face grew brighter while she smiled. "But, I couldn't have picked a better mate for him."