Chapter 6- Steven

I glared at Louis and Cameron, my anger spiking. "You did what?" I all but growled out, and Cameron flinched and ducked behind Louis. I glanced at my Beta unimpressed before looking at my Gamma.

"I went to talk with her, Your Majesty," he said. "She doesn't think of you as some "monster.""

I blinked, shocked into silence. I had no idea why she didn't think me of a monster because I was a monster. I knew that I was a monster, someone that shouldn't be alive.

"She had an ex-boyfriend that had fucked her up pretty bad," he said. "I think it was abusive or something because she had moved her cloak closer to her."

I growled, anger rushing through me. How dare someone lay a hand on her. If she didn't think I was a monster, then she had to be an angel or something like that. "What. Is. His. Name?" I asked through gritted teeth.

"She didn't say," he replied. "And, I would advise you not to ask."

"And why not?" I growled, baring my teeth at him. I stood a bit in my seat, and Cameron cleared his throat to hide a whimper. "She is my mate."

"Is she, Your Majesty?" he asked, and I felt shocked and hurt. "With all due respect, Sire, she is Human. She does not know about us about our customs. Keeping her in that dungeon will not help her understand."

"You have some nerve talking to me like this," I growled, baring my teeth at him. I narrowed my eyes at him, my Human stirring.

Louis nodded his head. "I know, Your Majesty," he replied.

"Why?"

'Dude, because he is still our best friend,' my human said.

'Yours,' I growled out. 'Not mine.'

"Because you are my and will always be my best friend," Louis said, and that stupid human relaxed and smiled. "I know that you don't want me as a best friend, Sire, but I am here."

"I. Do. Not. Need. You." I snarled, leaning over my desk towards them. I bared my teeth, and Louis submitted.

"Of course, Your Majesty," Louis replied.

I growled and shook my head. "Take her out of the cell," I said, finally. "Take her to the other side of the castle and tell her not to come over here. She is free to roam the castle and castle grounds except for here."

"Of course, Your Majesty," Louis said, nodding his head.

"You two are dismissed."

"Yes, Your Majesty," they said in unison, bowing. They both left, leaving me alone with my human.

'You don't have to be rude to them,' he said. 'You need them as much as they need you.'

I growled and tossed my desk towards the wall. Anger filled my body as I stared at it, burning hatred filling my body. 'You fucked it up,' I said. 'So, shut up.'

'I know. And I regret it every day.'

***

Much to my annoyance, I couldn't stay away from her. I wanted to, but my Human urged me to see her.

He wanted to see what he could never be, live amongst them as he had in the past. He and his kingdom have failed and were paying the cost.

A soft musical voice greeted me when I made my way to the stable. My mate stood in front of a horse, her hair darker than it had been. She was grooming the beast, and his head was lowered and looked half asleep.

"What are you doing?" I asked, startling the horse. I stood rooted to my spot as the horse jerked awake and reared, barely missing her head.

My mate moved out of the way of his flying hooves, her movement so sure that she wouldn't get hit. "Easy," she crooned, reaching up and grabbing his halter. She used her strength to pull him down, even when he reared again. "Easy," she crooned, holding on.

The horse snorted, and half reared. He shook his head, and this time I could tell that he was challenging me.

"Don't, Your Majesty, please," my mate said when I started to do a small growl. "I had just calmed him down." Frustration filled her voice, but that was the only sign that she had been annoyed.

"He challenged me," I growled out.

"He is a horse. You do not have anything to worry about." She punched him in the nose, and he wiggled it. "Stop being a butt," she scowled. "You did not have to break the crossties."

The horse snorted and shook his head. He was about to rear up again, only this time being stopped by her twisting his nose.

"Are you going to stop?" she asked, and he snorted and tried to back out of her hold. "Ah, ah, ah, ah. Oh no, you don't. Don't make me fashion one," she warned. "I have a belt, and I am not afraid to use it."

"What are you doing?"

"Twitching him," she replied. "Basically, I am holding his nose and twisting it."

"Why?"

"Because he is misbehaving. He knows better than to do that." She let him go when he stopped moving and turned to look at me. She didn't look me in the eye, and I couldn't help but feel... upset. "Was there anything you needed, Your Majesty?" she asked.

"You are to have dinner with me tonight," I growled out.

She arched an eyebrow but stayed silent.

'I think she is waiting for you to say please,' my Human said.

'I do not say please,' I replied. 'Especially to the likes of her.'

'But, she didn't do anything, did she? She just showed you that she had thick skin.'

I huffed, hating myself for doing this. "Please, will you have dinner with me tonight?"

The girl nodded her head. "Yes, Your Majesty," she said. She licked her lips and cleared her throat. "Shall... I help cook? I do not mind I had to since I was eight for my father."

"And why not your mother. Why did she not cook?"

She looked away and licked her lips. Her face got this redness to it, which I did not know why.

'It's called a blush,' my Human said. 'She is ashamed of something.'

"My mom... is dead," she said. "She died of cancer a day before I turned eight."

Silence fell between us after she had admitted that. I didn't know what else to say, and for once, my Human was silent.

"You may," I said, finally breaking the silence. "Louis will show you where the kitchen is."

She nodded her head. "Thank you," she said. "Your Majesty."

I cleared my throat and nodded my head. I did not say a word as I turned away and left. I wanted to link Louis to go to her, but I couldn't because of the severed links.

I guess I would have to have to find him and tell him to go to her myself. I just hoped that she would not try to leave and try to find the place herself.