Chapter 13- Belle

I licked my lips, hating the fact that my mouth went dry. My whole body grew tense as I kept my head bowed. My heart pounded in my chest out of nerves because I had no idea what he would do to me, especially because Riser had broken down the stall he was in.

"Well?" the king asked, baring his teeth at me. "Were you?" There was this small bit of hurt in his voice as if he didn't like the thought of me leaving for some reason. "Were you going to leave?"

I shook my head. "Oh, no, Your Majesty," I said, trying to calm my heart. I took a deep breath and let it out, trying to relax. "I wanted to spend the night with Riser. He's in a new place, and he doesn't like new places..." I patted my horse's neck, and he whickered and nuzzled me.

"And, how were you going to spend the night?" he asked. "Were you going just to spend it in the stall?"

"Well... that was the plan," I replied. I looked at my dog to see her already asleep in a corner with her belly up and snoring. A small smile appeared on my lips as I looked at her before looking at the male. "It looks like that my dog is really enjoying this."

The king looked at my dog before looking at me. He was still scowling, and I could tell that he didn't trust me. "Why are the lights on if you are going to go to bed?" he asked. "I say that you are planning on escaping."

I shook my head, feeling rather annoyed because I just told him that I wasn't trying to escape. "I am not," I said again. "The lights are on because Riser decided to be an ass and break down the stall that he was in."

"And why did he do that?" he asked, and I shrugged.

"He doesn't like to be alone," I said. "He is used to having Amara, my other horse, with him. She's part of his herd."

"Then why hasn't he destroyed the barn before now?"

"Because he didn't have to sleep," I replied. "Or wasn't tired." I shrugged my shoulder and patted my horse's shoulder. "He's had a bad past before I found him," I said, looking at him. "Amara helped him a lot, brought him out of his shell."

"How long ago was this?"

"Three years ago. He wouldn't let me near him without Amara by my side." I started to work on his mane, and he dipped his head and lt his lower lip droop lower while he relaxed. "The only time when he didn't have Amara by his side, like in the stall with him, was when he got really sick. I was there."

"How old was he?"

"He was almost four when he got really sick," I replied. "We formed a bond then, and I became apart of his herd." I rolled my eyes when he growled. "Not like that. He decided that I wasn't a threat, and I could help him with whatever."

"So, did you stay in the barn with him?"

I nodded my head, confirming that I did stay in the barn with him. "Yes, Your Majesty," I said. "I stayed in the barn with him and nursed him back to health. It was... around wintertime, so it had been really cold."

"Did you get sick?" he asked, and I shook my head, no.

"I had a small cold, but that was normal for me. I usually had one bad cold where it was exhausting to do stuff, but I still did the stuff."

"Why?" he asked.

"Because, if not me, then who? My father is ok with horses. He is better at riding them than taking care of them, and my mother was dead. My grandparents had decided that they weren't going to keep in contact with us, so..." I shrugged my shoulder. "I had to do what I could."

"You may stay in the barn with him," he said. "But, I hope that this will not be a recurring thing. If it is, then I forbid you from seeing him in the evening."

I gritted my teeth together and narrowed my eyes. I hated that he would "forbid" me to see my horse in the evening when he was my duty. I wanted to argue with him, but I knew that it wouldn't get me anywhere. I closed my eyes and took in a deep breath, trying to keep myself from cursing him out. "Of course, Your Majesty," I said, finally. "Just please give me a couple of days to make sure that he is settled and happy. If not, then I am sure that he will destroy the barn."

"Then, he will sleep outside with nothing. Do you understand?"

I held back an eye roll, glad that my back was turned towards him. I disagreed with what he said because he was used to sleeping in the barn all night. It was safer for him that way, and I had no idea if he would try to escape if he was let out, and I prayed that he wouldn't. I would be lost if he did leave me, not knowing how I would escape if he did. "Yes, Your Majesty."