♡Chapter 1♡

A/N: In case you didn't read the description, there's a lot of child abuse and neglect mentioned in this fanfic, as well as a brief mention of self harm, some homophobia, mentions of sex, and cussing.
Also I added the song that inspired me to write this story (Bruno Is Orange by Hop Along) 👍

Enjoy <3

Espresso watched as Madeleine strolled through the school halls with his usual crowd of 30+ fangirls swooning over him. "Madeleine's really popular, huh?"

Latte grabbed some books out of her locker before shutting it. "Hm? Oh, that's what happens when you're good looking and muscular, I guess." She smiled. "Why?"

"I dunno," Espresso sighed, leaning against his locker as the crowd turned down another hall and stepped out of sight. "I've just been noticing him lately. He's in some of my classes. And I see him in the hallways a lot."

Latte laughed. "It's kinda hard to miss him with all those girls surrounding him all the time."

"I know, I know. But still." He pushed his glasses up. "I've never talked to him before. Even though it's almost the end of the school year."

"Maybe you should talk to him," Latte suggested. "You probably need a friend or two."

"I have you."

"Espresso, it's pathetic that you count your own sister as your friend."

Espresso rolled his eyes, giving her a little push. "Shut up."

The bell rang, telling all the remaining students in the halls that they were late for class.

"Shoot," Espresso mumbled as he winced at the sound of the bell. "I'll see you later, Latte." He waved as he began to speedwalk toward his next class.

Espresso tucked his messy dark brown hair behind his ear as he clutched his math books close to his chest. He hated being late. Especially in Advanced Algebra, considering it was the subject he was best at and the class he had the highest grade in. (A 101.8, to be exact, which he kept steady throughout the entire year.) He smiled to himself as he continued walking.

He opened the door to the classroom, slipping into his seat, and setting the backpack down. The teacher wasn't here yet, which was good. He wouldn't be counted as tardy. The other kids were noisily talking to each other as they waited for the teacher to come in and settle them down.

As he glanced around the classroom, Madeleine's long, blond hair caught his eye. He had the most elegant hair Espresso had ever seen, while Espresso's was short and messy. Madeleine was tall and muscular, and Espresso was short and not very strong.

But Espresso was smarter than Madeleine. Espresso was one of the smartest people in the whole school, and everyone knew that. He kinda hoped Madeleine knew that too. Maybe he could impress him.

The teacher walked in, frantically trying to get his papers in order. "Alright, alright. Settle down, class," He said, making his way to the front of the classroom. "We have lots to do today."

Latte waved to Espresso as their eyes met on the bus. He walked down the aisle and sat down next to her in their normal seat. "How was your day?" Espresso asked as he set his backpack on his lap. The bus began to drive out of the school parking lot.

She groaned. "Hard. But I got a 97 on my science test."

A smile grew on his face as he pulled out his test from his backpack. "I got a 102." He smirked.

She rolled her eyes, leaning against her backpack. "Good for you, freaking Albert Einstein."

He slid the test back into his backpack. "Maybe Father will finally be proud of me today," He sighed as the smile faded from his face.