♡Chapter 11♡

"So... How are you doing?" Madeleine asked as he walked alongside Espresso towards the cafeteria.

"Fine," Espresso responded as he fidgeted with his fingers. He was exhausted. He had spent all night studying. But it would all be worth it when his grades were better, his parents loved him, and everything would be okay.

Madeleine nodded. "That's good. So, I was wondering if you could come over to my house after school and we can work on the project some more?" He smiled as he looked hopefully down at Espresso.

"Mhm."

"Are you sure you're okay?" Madeleine asked again. "You look really tired. Like, more tired than normal."

"I'm fine." He stifled a yawn, turning his head away from Madeleine.

Madeleine observed him as he stared at the bags under Espresso's eyes. He reached out and cupped Espresso's face in his arms, turning him back towards him so he could study his face better.

Espresso felt his chest tighten as he flushed. His breath caught in his throat as he stared up at Madeleine's concerned and nurturing face.

No. He shouldn't be feeling these feelings anymore. He needed to focus on school.

Espresso pushed him away, snarling. "What are you doing?!"

The smile fell from Madeleine's face. He looked hurt. "I-I... I was just making sure you were okay."

"Just, don't..." Espresso stammered. "Don't touch me."

"Oh. Okay."

Espresso turned and kept walking to the cafeteria.

"Hey-!" Madeleine hurried to keep up with him. "Are you mad at me..? Was it something I said? I'm really sorry. I-"

"It's nothing you said."

"Was it something I did?"

"No. It's nothing you did either."

"Then why are you so mad?"

"I'm not mad!" Espresso narrowed his eyes at him as he continued to hurry to the cafeteria. "I'm fine! Everything's okay!"

Madeleine looked at him with saddened and confused eyes. He kept walking beside Espresso, trying to keep up with him. "Okay. Sorry."

As they both stepped into the cafeteria, Espresso sighed in frustration. He didn't want to make Madeleine feel bad, but getting good grades was more important.

Espresso plopped down at his usual seat, waiting for Latte.

But to his surprise, Madeleine sat down next to him, smiling. "I can sit here, right?"

Espresso nodded slowly as he forced a groan back. "Yeah," He said as he turned away. Of course Madeleine decided to sit next to him at lunch the moment he decided he wasn't going to have a crush on him anymore. Typical.

Madeleine sat nervously as he examined Espresso's every move, trying to figure out why he was so mad.

"Would you stop staring at me?" Espresso mumbled, his eyes darting back to Madeleine. "It's creepy."

"Why are you so mad..?" Madeleine asked, frowning.

"I'm not mad," Espresso said again. He put his notebook on the table, turned to a page, and studied it while adding more notes.

Latte stepped up to the tabling, holding a tray containing a pile of food. "Oh, hi, Madeleine!" She smiled at him as she sat down.

Madeleine waved as he ate his food.