♡Chapter 23♡

Espresso covered his ears. "It's so loud in here..." He mumbled, watching as the other students yelled and danced and ate and drank. Loud music blasted through huge speakers while everyone danced and sang along.

Well, everyone except Espresso and Madeleine. Espresso was very overstimulated by all the noise.

"I know, love." Madeleine smiled, gently hugging him. He gently took one hand away from his ear, intertwining their fingers. "It'll be okay."

Espresso watched the couples dancing, kissing, and even making out in the corner. "Really? In front of everyone..??" He thought to himself as he turned away, extremely grossed out.

Even though the making out part was... kinda gross, he still wanted to dance with, and maybe even kiss Madeleine. But he knew that if they did, those terrible rumors would start again, except this time, they'd actually be true. Espresso shivered. He didn't want to get beat up again.

He thought about how stupid it was that those straight couples were full on making out in front of literally the entire school and everyone was completely fine with it, but the moment he and Madeleine got a little too close for comfort, everyone would flip the fuck out.

Stupid homophobic straight people. He frowned.

He perked up as he heard the music change from the loud, fast music to a gentle waltz. He watched all the students grab their lover and start to dance. His heart skipped a beat as he felt Madeleine squeeze his hand. He looked up.

Madeleine was smiling down at him. "Do you want to dance together?"

Espresso felt his face heat up. "O-Only if you want to," He stammered.

Madeleine nodded, grinning as he pulled Espresso towards the center of the room. He gently took his hand, placing his other hand on his hips.

"Madeleine, I've... Never waltzed before," Espresso laughed awkwardly. He blushed harder as he felt Madeleine's hand hold his hips.

"Just follow my lead, okay?" Madeleine responded, beginning to sway to the music. He examined Espresso's face. It was still extremely bruised from... His father... But the injuries were starting to fade.

Madeleine absolutely despised Espresso's father. He hated him more than he had hated anyone before. Ever. He hated his mother too for not doing anything to stop it. All he wanted was for Espresso to be safe and loved and cared for—not beaten half to death for just getting a low grade or kissing another guy.

He thought about calling the police on Espresso's parents, but he remembered how Espresso had said it would make his life so much worse. He didn't want to make his life harder, but he was so scared for him. However, Espresso made him promise not to call anybody, and he couldn't break a promise.

Espresso was probably right, too. He would move out soon and go no contact with his parents. Madeleine was sure Espresso could stay strong until he moved out.

They continued dancing. Espresso was having a hard time keeping up since he was still injured, but he was smiling the entire time, occasionally giggling when he stumbled.

Madeleine felt like he was about to cry tears of joy. He watched how happy Espresso was, even with all the terrible things he had been through. Espresso was so strong, mentally, emotionally, and physically. Madeleine was so proud of him. And... He loved him. He loved him so much.

He loved Espresso's smile. His perfect, beautiful smile. Everything about him was just pure perfection, but his smile... His smile was absolutely breathtaking. Seeing Espresso happy made Madeleine happy, more happy than anything.

They continued to dance along to the waltz. They felt the angry, confused, jealous, and disgusted stares of the other students, but they couldn't care less. They were together.

The music swelled to a beautiful climax, before it decrescendoed to silence. Espresso glanced around, watching as the couples kissed passionately. His eyes trailed back to Madeleine. He slowly leaned forward, closed his eyes, and pressed his lips against Madeleine's.

The two stood there, kissing, ignoring the extremely homophobic comments coming from the other students. They both silently wanted the moment to last forever and ever. But after dragging out the kiss as long as they could, they pulled away.

Espresso glanced around the room. The people who weren't kissing their partner were staring at him and Madeleine with pure disgust. He tensed up—he hoped he wouldn't get beat up again...

Madeleine noticed him staring worriedly at the other students, and he turned his face so he could look into his eyes. "Hey," He said softly. "It'll be okay. I'll make sure nobody ever hurts you again."

A smile crept onto Espresso's face. He reached up and kissed Madeleine one last time, still trying his hardest to ignore the comments from the other students.

Espresso's face was now noticeably red as they stepped back away from the center of the dance floor. The loud and overstimulating music was put back on and Espresso groaned.

Madeleine leaned against the wall, holding Espresso's hand as he stared into his eyes. "You're a very good kisser."

"As are you."

Madeleine's face flushed as he took a deep breath. "Okay, I-I guess now is as good a time as any..." He cleared his throat. "Espresso, will you be my boyfriend?"

Espresso felt his heart flutter as his eyes widened. He let out a squeak and he blushed. "I- Yes!! Yes, of course!!" He immediately wrapped his arms around Madeleine, giving him as many kisses as fast as he possibly could. His heartbeat quickened as he giggled. He couldn't believe it was finally happening. "I can't believe I get to date the most popular boy in school."

"I can't believe I get to date the most beautiful nerd boy," Madeleine responded. "I love you."

"I love you more~" Espresso teased. He spotted Latte over at the refreshment table. "Oh, we should go tell Latte! Come on!" He grabbed his hand, pulling him over to Latte.

Latte was absolutely devouring the cupcakes. No dessert was left untouched. She noticed them coming over and swallowed one last cupcake before smiling at them. "Hi!" She waved.

"Guess what?" Espresso giggled, barely able to contain his excitement.

"What?"

Espresso grabbed onto Madeleine's arm. "We're officially dating!!"

Latte's jaw dropped. She smiled. "YAAY!!" She cleared her throat. "Okay, sorry. Congratulations, you guys!" She got up close to Espresso. "Hate to say it, but I knew all along something would happen between you two."

Espresso blushed, shoving her away. "S...Shut up." He smiled. "I'll get us all some fruit punch, okay?" He practically skipped away.

Latte watched as Espresso went far enough away before wiping the smile off her face. She stared Madeleine in the eye. "Just a little warning, you better treat him right. If you break my brother's heart... I break you." Her eyes narrowed. She was dead serious about this. "He's been through enough shit, dontcha think?"

"I-I..." Madeleine stammered. He frowned, genuinely scared. "C-Come on, Latte, you know me! I would never. I love Espresso! I really do!"

Latte continued to stare at him, but she smiled. "Oh, I know, silly! You won't break Espresso's heart!" She paused. "But if you do..."

"Ah-! N-No, ma'am," Madeleine reassured her. "I'll treat him like the king he is. Promise."

"Good!" She smiled again, watching as Espresso came back with three cups of fruit punch.

He handed a cup to the two, smiling as he looked up at Madeleine.

Madeleine wrapped his arm around Espresso's shoulder, holding up his fruit punch to make a toast. "Here's to us; officially a couple!"

Espresso's eyes trailed up to meet Madeleine's. "Oh, and, uh, Madeleine?"

He looked down at him. "Yes, Espresso, darling?" He grinned.

Espresso smiled a sad smile as he mumbled, "Please don't tell my parents."