♡Chapter 16♡

Espresso laid on his bed as he rubbed his arm where a bruise was. His father had gotten angry and threw him, causing Espresso to bang his arm against the floor. It hurt.

His parents' new favorite thing to do was lock him in his room, refusing to feed him anything. A while ago, this would be perfectly fine for Espresso since he had studying to do. Studying had distracted him from his hunger. But now since he wasn't putting any effort into school, he didn't have anything to distract him. The hunger was almost unbearable.

School food still sucked; he absolutely refused to eat that. He'd rather starve than eat disgusting school food. It was worse than Mother's cooking. Gross.

But apart from being hungry, he sort of liked when his parents locked him in his room alone. It meant he didn't have to talk to them. But he also couldn't talk to Madeleine, which was the worst part about being grounded.

He missed Madeleine.

Madeleine made him feel things he had literally never felt before. He knew it sounded foolish and cliché, but nobody had ever loved him like Madeleine loved him. He loved him for who he was. Madeleine didn't care whether he got a 100 or a 50 on a test. He was always proud of him.

Plus, he touched him. Not in a weird way, of course, but the way he embraced him tightly in a hug or gently held his hand... It all sent shivers and tingles down his body every time. It felt so magical. Nobody ever loved and touched him like Madeleine did.

His parents hadn't taken his phone, so he could still text him. It wasn't the same as actually talking to him and seeing his beautiful face... His elegant hair... His everything. Espresso felt his face heat up. He could still see him at school, of course. But they only had two classes together and only sat near each other in History class. He barely had time to talk to him.

They still had lunch together too, but most of that time was spent with Latte begging Espresso to eat something, followed by Espresso refusing and saying how gross the school food was.

At the mention of food, he groaned as he heard the rest of his family happily talking and eating dinner downstairs. He noticed how dinner was always much happier and louder without him.

Espresso was about to roll over and try to sleep, but a ping from his phone caught his attention. It was a text from Madeleine. A smile immediately came to his face.

M: Do u wanna come over to my house so we can work on the project? Or we can just hang out if you want :))

Espresso sighed before responding.

E: My parents grounded me. I can't leave the house except for school. 😒

M: What!! Nooo why did they ground you??

E: I got a bad grade on my Bio test. Father was mad and grounded me.

M: 😡

E: Sorry 😭 I would totally come over if I could. We'll hang out the moment I'm ungrounded, okay?

M: ok that's fine. I can't wait to see you again!!!!

E: I can't wait to see you too

M: make sure you don't overwork yourself <3

E: I won't

Espresso smiled as he turned off his phone, setting it on the table next to him as he closed his eyes.

He was woken up by a notification from his phone. He opened his tired eyes as he looked around. A smile grew on his face as he reached for his phone. Maybe Madeleine texted him again.