Three

He had no one to ask, so he decided to leave it for later. Perhaps his parents would know.

The night dragged on as usual. Theodore spent some time chit chatting with other staff of the Supreme Court and was able to eat dinner after an hour of 'hellos' and 'how-do-you-dos'.

By 8:30 PM, Theodore was ready to make his exit. He approached the Justice once more, offering well-wishes and sprinkling in another round of flattery. With those formalities completed, he exited the event center.

In the lobby, Theodore couldn't help but observe Jacob, who was surrounded by two men he recognized as Jacob's second cousins. From what he had previously observed, Jacob's relationship with them wasn't exactly amicable.

"You? Going to law school?" The smaller man, Mike, blurted out with a shrill, booming voice. "Are you smart enough for that?"

Theodore froze, torn between returning to the party or staying to witness the heated exchange. Unfortunately, neither option seemed particularly appealing.

"I thought you'd do medicine. Not that you have the drive for that either," Kelvin sneered, the eldest of the trio who had recently passed the certified accountant board exam. "But I suppose you're afraid to be like your Dad."

Mike laughed at the statement. Theodore frowned.

Like his Dad? What could that mean?

Jacob's expression darkened, and he let out an exasperated huff. "It's none of your goddamn business."

"Still so cocky," Kelvin growled. "Like you have something to be proud of other than your face."

Theodore felt a surge of anger and frustration, unable to comprehend why these two individuals were so intent on provoking Jacob. His fists clenched involuntarily as he contemplated intervening.

He stared at Jacob intently. If a fight would break out, he'd probably team up with him to take Mike and Kelvin down. He had never fought anyone in public before, but he would gladly punch those two in their faces.

Instead of acting out, however, Jacob's shoulders drooped lazily.

"I'm not sure why you're trying to piss me off," he said, smirking. "Are you that bummed out that your girl wanted me to f–"

Kelvin's nostrils flared, seizing Jacob by the collar. "You asshole!"

Jacob poked a tongue on his cheek and snapped, "Wanna take this outside—?"

At that point, Theodore moved without thinking. He marched forward, his strides heavy and long, catching the three's attention. He casually placed a hand on top of Jacob's shoulder.

"Jacob, I was looking for you. We have to go."

Jacob's eyes bulged. "Huh?"

Theodore grasped Kelvin's wrist and forcibly yanked it away. The latter let go of Jacob's collar, crossed his arms, then glared at Theodore from head to toe.

"Ah, of course. The crowd favorite."

"You have nothing to do with this," Mike snarled. "Get out of here."

Theodore didn't know what came over him, but he wasn't going to leave without Jacob.

"I won't. Jacob and I have plans."

Jacob gawked at Theodore, dumbfounded. Why was Theodore getting involved? However, the determination in his eyes was so palpable that Jacob decided to go along with him. He wasn't in the mood for a brawl tonight, after all.

A half-smile crept onto Jacob's face as he straightened his suit, flicking away imaginary lint. "Alright, let's go," he said, turning his back and giving Theodore's arm a reassuring pat. "I've wasted enough time here."