Twenty-Eight

Jacob has returned to calling Theodore every morning and every night. In Austin's words, he's once again showering Theodore with attention. Remember when Jacob said he was afraid he'd be a distraction during the internship? Well, that concern has vanished. He no longer cares.

Theodore admits he enjoys it. He likes being coddled by Jacob since he used to be the one consistently compromising. Even though his feelings weren't strong, he had rarely refused requests from the people he used to date.

Nope. It still sounds like he was a shitty boyfriend. Finally! An explanation why he was always the dumpee and why his relationships never lasted more than six months: He lacked initiative and he was a pushover. In short, he was boring. A meh.

And it can't happen again. So far, he's been pretty good at saying 'no' and being the one in control. Maybe it's because he and Jacob started as... frenemies? Jacob was rude to him for no reason. Then he was indifferent. Then he wasn't. And then they became friends. It was a bizarre transition.

Theodore folds his arms and nods in satisfaction. Yes, he's the one in charge this time. Although... Jacob is completely irresistible when he wants to be.

Theodore rests his head on his work desk. He needs a plan. He can't fuck this up. There's too much to lose.

First things first, he has to ask Jacob out on a date to show him that he cares just as much. Perhaps he can do it when he calls him tonight. Yes, tonight. It's already Thursday, and they can go out on the weekend.

What should they do, though? They've watched movies with Austin and Stella. They've gone out to eat. What else is there that they haven't done?

He blushes, shaking his head frantically.

"Theodore?"

He lifts his head, hitting his knees under the table. It's his supervisor, Atty. Glen Tiangco.

"Y-Yes, Attorney?"

"Come here for a sec."

Theodore gives himself a soft slap on the cheek before heading to his supervisor's office. Atty. Tiangco is sitting at his desk, typing something on his laptop, eyebrows meeting together.

"Tomorrow is your last day. I'm filling out your evaluation."

Theodore swallows.

"I just want to congratulate you on a job well done at the center."

He suppresses a sigh of relief.

"Thank you."

"After you graduate and pass the bar, I would like you to apply for a job here. Of course you have the option to work in a private firm or at the Public Attorney's Office, but we need future human rights lawyers like you. You're passionate and hardworking and I think you'll be a great addition to our team."

Theodore's lips part. "Oh... Wow. I don't know what to say. T-Thank you, Sir. That means a lot to me."

"Many people need us. You. The work we do here... It's a difficult and treacherous path. But I see that you put your heart in helping the underprivileged. You're more than welcome to come back if you decide not to go the way your parents have."

Theodore rubs his hands on his thighs, feeling a mixture of gratitude and humility. "Yes, Sir. I will keep this in mind. Thank you."

******

"Theo, wow. You called me first," Jacob answers happily.

"Sorry, I just wanted to talk to you as soon as I got home..." Theodore replies, kicking his shoes off his feet. He walks past Austin, who is dozing off on the sofa, his mouth wide open.