Thirty-One

Stella lounges in her beach chair, having just emerged from a refreshing swim, when a man standing around 6 feet tall approaches her. The sun is slowly sinking on the horizon, casting a warm glow across the scene, allowing her to discern that he is not only good-looking but also fair-skinned. He appears a few years her senior and is clearly keen on acquiring her phone number. However, her mood is not amicable towards conversation, prompting her to deflect his advances and keep her responses concise.

"Hey, Stella."

It's Austin. She looks over his shoulder and sees Lindsey still on the inflatable.

"Austin," she utters, her tone wary.

Austin casts an unconcerned glance at the persistent suitor, who knits his brows.

"Aren't you going to join in?" he inquires.

It is a way out. But why Austin again? Why is he always keeping an eye on her?

"Um, yeah."

The guy rubs his nape. "Oh, sorry. I didn't realize you had a boyfriend."

"It's fine," she lies uncomfortably, but she is careful not to show it in her face.

Austin extends his hand, which Stella reluctantly accepts, and they begin walking away from the persistent stranger. As soon as the guy is out of sight, Stella discreetly increases the distance between herself and Austin.

"I was okay. You didn't have to worry."

"You seemed uneasy to me."

She heaves a sigh. "I was fine, Austin. Don't mind me. Just have fun with Lindsey."

Austin frowns. "What do you mean? It's what we do. We look out for each other."

Stella's annoyance flares, though her body feels leaden. "I guess."

She averts her gaze and silently wills herself to fall into the pool.

Water enters her nose and ears and for a bit, she thinks she is drowning. Panicked, she swiftly straightens her body and touches the pool's floor, her head breaking the surface. She steadies her breathing and swims urgently toward the opposite end.

She needs to get away from Austin. Her stomach churns at the guilt of feeling joyous of being called his girlfriend.

Pathetic. She's so pathetic and evil for wanting him even though he's already dating someone else.

Suddenly, a loud bang resonates as she unintentionally collides with the pool wall. Stella raises her gaze and encounters Lindsey.

"Oh my God! Are you okay?"

Stella's head spins, and she's engulfed in a wave of humiliation. She rubs her forehead, tears welling up in her eyes. "Yes, I'm fine—"

"Stella!" Austin's voice echoes as he rushes toward them. He swiftly jumps into the pool and swims their way. "What happened?" He cradles her face, inspecting her forehead. "Does it hurt?"

Stella wishes she could disappear, wishing the pool would swallow her whole. She pushes Austin away and looks at Lindsey, her voice trembling. "I'm sorry... I'm sorry."

"Stella? Hold on--"

Stella clutches the pool ladders, her vision hazy, and climbs out without looking back.

"Stella! Wait!"

Stella's pulse slams in her neck as her head throbs. She hastens her steps, but exhaustion slows her down. Why did she have to embarrass herself in front of Lindsey, of all people?