Twelve

Theodore blinks rapidly. "You... You do?"

Stella flashes a mischievous grin. "Yeah! Why not? He's quite the catch, and considering you both run in the same social circles, I bet he's loaded. Plus, he's got that enigmatic, standoffish vibe that makes him intriguing."

Theodore's stomach churns with unease. "Ah, yeah, you might be right..."

Their conversation is interrupted by the server calling out their order number. Stella breaks away, exclaiming, "Oh, that's us!"

As the server places their trays of steaming ramen bowls on the table, Stella carefully lifts one, and Theodore follows suit, his muscles tense. They eat in silence, while Stella and Austin animatedly discuss the earlier lecture.

Turning his attention to Theodore, Austin asks, "What's your take on this, Theo?"

He raises his head. "Sorry? I wasn't listening."

Austin repeats his question. Jacob stares at Theodore and notices his tired eyes. He must have been studying too hard.

Austin excuses himself promptly after lunch, citing some errands and a Southbound commute.

With a hurried tone, Theodore chimes in, "I should go too. I've got something to attend to."

Jacob offers to accompany him, but Theodore declines with a fabricated excuse. "No, I'm actually heading in the opposite direction. Catch you guys tomorrow."

He remains impervious to any attempts by Stella or Jacob to halt him. Swiftly, he pivots on his heel and strides away from the perplexed pair.

"They like each other," Theodore murmurs to himself. "It's the least I can do."

******

"What's with him?" Jacob asks.

Stella toys with the ends of her hair. "I'm not sure. He's been acting strange since this morning."

"I guess he's drained."

"Could be," Stella concurs. "By the way, I spoke highly of you to him. I mean, he'll trust my judgment."

Jacob's cheeks flush with surprise. "Why would you do that?"

Stella grins mischievously. "I think you're a great match for Theo. He's cute, you're hot, and there you have it – a fantastic combo."

He scoffs. "You're fetishizing us, aren't you?"

"What a rude accusation!"

As they exit the restaurant and make their way toward the mall's exit, Stella continues her lighthearted banter. "I genuinely think you two are perfect for each other."

"You don't even know me."

Stella chuckles warmly. "All I have to do is watch you whenever Theo's around."

Jacob opens his mouth to respond but is left speechless. Stella maintains a sincere smile.

"And remember," Stella adds, her tone growing serious, "you were there for him when he was badly beaten up, and you supported him when he faced ridicule for not pursuing Omicron... even when you weren't friends."

Jacob falls into contemplative silence, wondering when it all began–Was it when Theodore took him away from his cousins? That long ago?

"As long as I see that your feelings for him are true," Stella declares, her expression unwavering, "I'll be your biggest cheerleader. But hurt him, and I'll kill you."

Jacob smirks.

"I'm not joking."

"I know."

She lays out a hand. "Deal?"