Thirty-Two

"This, my dear friends, is an intervention," Theodore declares, his legs crossed. "I wasn't sure if we should be doing this but based on your faces, it seems like the first day of class isn't working out."

The group huddles in the library's most remote corner, their chosen hideout since Denise's infamous party.

Stella averts her gaze from the men. "It's fine, Theo."

"It's anything but good," Theodore retorts, adopting a laid-back yet serious tone. "And the fact that you're avoiding eye contact, Stella, is a pretty big hint."

"I've been trying to apologize, but Stella doesn't want to talk," Austin murmurs, sounding a tad indignant.

"What–?"

Theodore holds up a finger to Stella.

"Shush, shush," Jacob says. She rolls her eyes.

"Okay, Austin. Let's begin with... Why are you trying to apologize? What are you apologizing for?"

He hunches in shame. "Because I... I hurt her. I didn't realize that she liked me... And I had a girlfriend."

Had. Past tense. The confirmation of the breakup whisks Stella's emotions within. She pinches her lips together.

Theodore cocks his head to one side, encouraging a response from Stella.

"You don't have to apologize for dating Lindsey," she utters. "I was rooting for you."

"Then why did you get mad at me?"

"Because you were so dumb," she seethes, turning to Jacob and Theodore for support. "Did you guys know I liked him?"

The two nod quietly.

"Did I mention this to you before?"

They shake their heads.

"But to be fair, this is Austin. You should've told him explicitly," Jacob replies.

"What do you mean by that–"

"Alright, my bad. But let's not forget, Austin was about as clueless as they come, given he didn't even consider the girlfriend situation."

Austin gapes. "I... That's..."

Theodore clicks his tongue. "Yeah. Stella's right about that part."

"It was uncomfortable watching it all unfold," Jacob adds.

He flinches, then lowers his head. "Sorry."

"Okay, uh... So let's get down to the bottom of this... What actually happened with Lindsey?" Theodore inquires.

Austin smooths down his shirt and winces. "She broke up with me at the cabin. Said I was young. And confused."

"That's what I meant," Stella groans.

"I know, alright? I get it now."

"Oh, do you?"

"Yeah. I should've been more aware of the people around me."

"You didn't have to break up with her, you know."

"And leave you like this?"

"So you pity me?"

"I didn't let her go because I pity you, Stella."

"Guys, let's not raise our voices... We're in the library..." Theodore whispers, mouthing apologies to the people walking by.

"Look, guys, I want to make it right with Stella. But she won't let me."

"I was willing to engage in a conversation with you until you told me I was more motherly to you because you were poor."

You All Over Me [BxB]जहाँ कहानियाँ रहती हैं। अभी खोजें