Twenty-Two

Theodore deftly knots his necktie and meticulously rolls up his sleeves. Just then, a knock resounds through the room. He swiftly snatches his coat and keys from the kitchen counter and slips on his polished black leather shoes.

With his heart racing, Theodore turns the doorknob. Jacob appears in a striking white tuxedo, complete with a sleek black bowtie. Theodore can't help but feel a flush of warmth spread across his cheeks. While he's seen Jacob in formal attire before, this marks the first time they're attending a social event together. Who would have imagined?

"Hey."

"Hey," Jacob responds, his wavy hair elegantly combed to the side, one hand casually tucked into his pocket. "You look fantastic."

Theodore blushes. "You don't look bad yourself."

"You ready?"

"Yeah. Let's go."

******

Theodore navigates through the pouring rain, Jacob in the passenger seat beside him. Traffic is at a standstill, with cars and public vehicles lined up in endless columns, their horns blaring pointlessly.

"Stella just texted. She's already there with Austin," Jacob remarks, flicking through radio stations.

Theodore taps his fingers on the steering wheel. "Sorry... We'll be a little late."

"It's fine. You can't control the rain, and I'm not exactly known for punctuality at these events anyway."

"Right. You do like making a grand entrance."

"You know me..."

"That's true. You like coming late for attention."

Jacob chuckles. "An unfair accusation. It's not my fault people turn their heads whenever I walk in."

Theodore doesn't argue because it is true. He wonders how people will react if he walks in with Jacob.

"Will your parents be there?"

"My Mom probably will."

And your Dad?

Theodore knows better than to broach the subject of Dr. Emmanuel. It's been two years since they became close friends, but discussing Jacob's father is still off-limits. He tried once before, and it didn't end well. Jacob remained silent for the entire evening, though he later assured Theodore that he wasn't angry, but it was just a topic he didn't want to discuss.

Ever.

"What about yours?"

"Yeah. They won't miss parties like this. Excuse my Mom in advance."

Jacob smirks, his fang poking out a little. "I don't mind, Theo."

Theodore's mind drifts back to a dinner they had with his mother almost two years ago. She clearly liked Jacob, to the point of embarrassment for him. After that, she frequently insisted on having Jacob over at their house. Theodore made excuses, even going as far as inviting Austin and Stella to join them. But that didn't go as planned, as even his friends attempted sly remarks, hinting at Jacob's feelings for him.

While Theodore was nervous, Jacob was pleased the whole time. He was convinced that his mother had some inkling of their relationship; she never commented, though, as if she, too, were waiting for something.

"I'm still apologizing in case."

"In case of what?"

"In case she says... 'Things'..." Theodore groans. "Don't play dumb."