Thirty-Four

"Here, drink some water," Jacob says, putting a glass of water on the center table. He sits beside Theodore and strokes his hair.

Theodore takes a sip, the pout on his lips remaining.

"I did want to move in with you, but not like this. Sorry. I didn't have anywhere else to go."

"You don't have to apologize. I'm happy I'm the first person you run to. You know you're welcome here." He opens his arms wide in an inviting gesture. "Come."

Theodore doesn't waver and hurries over to Jacob, relishing the warmth of his body as he sinks his nose into his chest. Jacob lands a soft kiss on the top of his head.

"So? Care to tell me what happened?"

Theodore's shoulders sag, and he begins to recount, "They basically manipulated me into coming to the firm so I could get the feel of corp and litigation. Because they want me to take over at some point. I told them I didn't want to, so... Here I am."

"Is corp really so bad, Theo?"

Theodore sighs, "I know, I know, you like it. Mom said so. But it's not for me, Jake. I want to... I want to go to a different field."

"Human rights."

"Yes, human rights."

Jacob's breathing slows down. "I'll be honest with you, Theo. I'm worried, too. Human rights law can be dangerous. When you fight for the poor, you will often find yourself pitted against the powerful. And those people can be ruthless."

"It's not fighting for them, Jake. It's fighting with them," Theodore replies. "I understand what you're saying, but this is my dream. Ever since. Ever since..."

"Ever since what?"

Theodore clutches Jacob's shirt even tighter.

"I told you I had a yaya, didn't I?"

"You did."

"She was someone I truly cared for. She raised me," he mutters. "But one day, her son was arrested. He was accused of theft. My yaya asked for help from my parents, and they did help her find a pro bono defense lawyer. But he was still sent to jail."

"Was he innocent?"

"He was. The evidence was all circumstantial. But the victim was a powerful landlord in the rural areas. And I knew all of this because my parents explained it to me. As a child, I was already interested in the law."

"That would have been a lot for a child to take in."

"Mm," Theodore exhales. "But that wasn't the end of it. Her son was killed as soon as he got out, and the murder case remained unsolved. My yaya left for the funeral and never came back. I later learned that she passed away a few months after her son's death. I was... I was so confused. And lonely."

Jacob tenderly kisses Theodore's hair once more. "I'm sorry."

"I didn't understand why it happened. Or how it could happen to people like them. Why did they experience such horrible things? They were good people. And why couldn't we do anything to help them? We had money. My parents knew the law. But why couldn't we... I..."

"You were a kid, Theo."

"I know it's not my fault, Jake," he replies, sniffling. Jacob feels his shirt get moist, and his stomach hardens.

"I realized it was because they didn't have the resources to save themselves from the unfairness of it all. I was frustrated. Angry. For the record, I didn't hate my Mom and Dad... But I hated being powerless. So I decided that when I grow up, I'd do better. I was born with luck and money and privilege I didn't deserve. I didn't think it was acceptable for me to do nothing for other people."