The Heir's Heir

I'm going to be out of commission on Friday. So I'm updating early.

Asteria Targaryen

High Tide, Driftmark: 116 AC

Asteria entered the room, spotting Rhaenyra holding a baby. She grinned and rushed over, climbing into Rhaenyra's bed.

"Hello Ria." Rhaenyra said softly. "Nyra!" Asteria said, not dropping her grin and playing the little girl act. "Ria, be gentle. She just gave birth." Laenor chided her.

"Sorry." she said.

"It's fine. Asteria, meet your cousin Jacaerys Targaryen." Rhaenyra said, sitting up straighter and holding out the baby.

"He's very small." Asteria said, peering down at her new baby cousin. And he looked like Laenor, with dark skin, tufts of curly white hair, and indigo eyes. "Jace looks like Laenor."

"He does." Corlys said, puffing out his chest. "Jace?" her kepa asked her. "It's a nickname." she said tentatively.

"Jace. I like it." Rhaenyra grinned. "You're very first birthday gift to him."

"He better like it." Asteria quipped.

"The King and Queen, Your Highnesses." Ser Erryk said, poking his head in. Asteria scowled at that. She loved Viserys, but despised Alicent.

"Let them in." Rhaenyra commanded. Viserys walked in, a wide smile on his face. "Oh my dear, I came as soon as I heard. Are you okay? And my grandchild?"

"All is well. The midwives and Maester Gerardys ensured it was a smooth birth." Rhaenyra said. Alicent entered the room. "Ah, Rhaenyra! I do hope the babe inherited his family's looks." the woman said.

"He looks just like me." Laenor said frostily. Alicent peered down and shock became very apparent on her face the moment she saw Jace.

Asteria giggled at that—no doubt Alicent expected that Jace was a bastard. But nope—every inch of Jace screamed of his Velaryon heritage, of Laenor.

As if on cue, Jace burst into tears the moment he saw Alicent.

That is today's chapter. I hope you all enjoyed it.