Talks in the Godswood

Asteria Targaryen

Winterfell, the North: 130 AC

Asteria had to admit, Winterfell was a beautiful castle. It was a huge castle complex built over natural hot springs and around an ancient, several thousand year old Godswood.

"It's beautiful." she murmured, seeing the Heart Tree. She could detect the ancient power and magic in the Heart Tree, beating out into the rest of the castle. "Do you not pray to the Seven, Princess?" Cregan asked her hesitantly.

"No." she admitted. "I follow the Fourteen Flames of Valyria, but specifically Balerion, the god of death and the dead, and King of the Underworld."

"Why?" Cregan asked her, looking genuinely curious.

"Well, I was born under a blood moon." she started. "In my family, those born under a blood moon are considered blessed by Balerion, who stained the moon with blood for a single night."

"Interesting." Cregan admitted.

"Now I am curious on why you sent a betrothal offer to my kepa." she said. "You have a good reputation, both here and in the south, Lord Cregan, but traditionally the Starks tend to marry their follow Northerners. So why ask for a southern princess's hand?"

Cregan let out a small laugh and guided her to a nearby bench. "Well, I was hoping to bring fresh blood into the family, and I wanted to get trade alliances with the south. To get more farmers here so we have more food during winter. You're of age and the only Targaryen daughter available for marriage." he patiently explained. "Though I have to admit, I didn't think you would  catch on."

"I live in the Red Keep, the home to a court of vipers. You learn how to play the game or you die." the eighteen year old Targaryen princess said bluntly before casually growing some flowers. Cregan's eyes went wide. "And, I chose you because I hope you are open to magic."

"This is the North, my lady. We have wargs, skinchangers, and greenseers here. To have magic is considered lucky and a blessing from the Old Gods here in the North." Cregan said, grey eyes meeting her amethyst.

"And yet another point in your favor." Asteria said with a grin. She heard Selarion's triumphant shriek and she knew her dear friend had caught her prey. Cregan looked uneasy, however.

"It's fine, she just succeeded in hunting." she assured the Warden of the North.

"I see." Cregan said, still looking uneasy.

She had an idea. "Lord Stark," she said "How would you like to meet Selarion?"

Selarion and Cregan meet in the next chapter!