Chapter 27: Shifting Sands Land

"Are you all prepared to leave master?"

"Yes Hamako-chan."

"You've got all of your weapons?"

"With all of the scrolls I've got and the stuff I carry on my person at all times I'm armed to the teeth."

"You've got your suppression seals for the Kyuubi's chakra?"

"Yes, I've already given enough to Tsunade-baachan already that she could probably use one to stop me every day on this mission from now on forward though."

"Well... It is one of only two things that you can adequately make."

"...Now why did you have to go and kill my self-esteem like that Hamako-chan?"

Naruto was leaning against the front gate in the same clothing he had taken to wearing recently with Hamako doting over him before he was to leave to escort Tsunade to Sunagakure for the finals of the chunin exam. He hadn't really seen anyone from his graduating class around town since he had returned, but he then put two and two together and realized they must have all made it to the finals of the exams. Hinata and Shino had been promoted last time around so they were probably on a mission, Shikamaru probably went with Asuma to watch the proceedings, and Team Gai, who had been promoted immediately after their next exams were probably busy, because being a rookie chunin did suck. You weren't high profile enough to really put in for down time, but you were considered just good enough to get back to back 'real' missions.

Naruto gave a glance to his pleasant companion, "Are you going to be alright while I'm gone?"

Hamako rolled her eyes with a smile on her face, "I was fine when you left for half a year Naruto-sama. I don't think a week or so without you here will be too much to handle. You will be missing my birthday though." She said, pouting playfully.

"Oh I'm sorry Hamako-chan." Naruto said, actually somewhat upset by this. He had been gone for half a year, leaving her pretty much on her own. All she really had were his own loose acquaintances to block being lonely. It did make him wonder if she had really been okay with him leaving or if she had just been putting up a façade so that he didn't worry.

She smiled and waved it off, "It's alright master. You don't get to dictate your own schedule, I know. And since I am your servant I am also basically controlled by your schedule."

Naruto frowned, "You're more than a servant Hamako-chan. You're way more important than you make yourself seem. Even if you don't agree with me, your master froze you inside the vault for a reason."

Hamako nodded, "I think I know why he did it. I'm certain he knew that the Uzumaki bloodline was too stubborn to just die out, and he put me there so that I could assist a future generation of them upon being discovered. Why else would he have placed me in an area that could only be accessed by one of your lineage? So the way you speak as if it isn't my job to do these things for you, that is actually contradictory, because you are the entire reason I exist."

Okay, this girl was really starting to remind him of Haku, only she seemed more prone to emotion... most of them positive. She was really receptive to the whole being his underling thing, something he didn't think he would ever get accustomed to, but she simply accepted it right off the bat. Hell, she suggested it and insisted on it in the first place.

Naruto shrugged mentally, if this was what she wanted he couldn't just keep trying to get her to stop. Hopefully she wouldn't get too into the whole servant thing, but if he had his way he would wean her onto her own independence. Naruto pulled her into a hug, catching her somewhat off guard, "I'll bring you back a present okay? Something cool, because it's not like I'm going to be short on funds when this mission is over. Just take care of yourself."