Chapter 40: The Seeds of the Root

(Kaze no Kuni – Team Naruto)

A group of three lightly cloaked figures wandered through the desert heading towards the hidden village in the unforgiving terrain. A bastion of relief for the travelers that they moved towards quickly to get out of the sun.

"Why are we wearing this extra equipment if we're running Naruto-senpai?" Sai asked curiously as he and Maki followed behind the blonde leader, keeping pace with him.

"Because Sai-kouhai." Naruto began to explain, "While I don't really need it, you most definitely do. Have you looked in a mirror lately? You're as white as the paper you draw on. If you're out in this sun for even an hour you're going to be lobster red, and I don't need you losing any fights we get into because of your nasty sunburn."

Maki looked over at her two superiors before speaking her own mind, "What about me Naruto-senpai? I'm not as pale as Sai-senpai is and I'm still wearing a cloak too."

Naruto grinned at her, "Well there's no way I'm letting the female member of our little group chance getting sunburned. You're too pretty to get that complexion all beat up by the sun Maki." His grin dropped as he saw the dome structure of Sunagakure coming into sight, "Okay be cool. You guys are both registered right? I know Sai is, but how about you Maki?"

Maki nodded, "Yes senpai I'm a registered Konoha ninja, number 920018. Should I put on my hitae-ate now?"

"Yes that would be best at least for now." Naruto said as he saw Maki retrieve the accessory and tie it around her neck, "Gaara may trust me, but we're still foreign ninja and you all need to be identified as Konoha ninja lest we look way more suspicious than we already do. The only bad thing is if this gets back to Tsunade-baachan. She's going to wonder where I got you two from."

Sai gave him his smile, "No she shouldn't look too much into it senpai. Danzo-sama has worked out a deal that places me as your usual teammate in order to protect you. I am sure he has or will explain Maki the same way."

Naruto returned the smile with one of his own as he looked at his two subordinates, "We're golden then. Alright, get ready for some scrutinizing looks. Don't attract a ruckus, and remember to get some rest and get your materials together quickly for in case of Akatsuki attack or if we have to leave suddenly."

The smile he shot back at them actually put a small one on Maki's face, "Don't cause a ruckus Naruto-senpai? That doesn't sound like you. I remember during that mission we had to that noble's mansion in Kuminari no Kuni when you-."

"Okay Maki." Naruto replied rather disgruntled at the turn of the conversation as he turned forward with narrowed eyes, "I don't need you reminding me of how I got out of there. I remember. I was there. And you didn't help me either, so you don't get to judge my robbery plan when you didn't even have a part in it."

"As you wish senpai." Maki replied automatically to stanch his ire, but looking at her face he could see the mirth in her eyes. She really did miss having him back. But that also meant that she was going to take to razzing him every now and then. Putting the thought out of his mind, Naruto focused on the mission, she could do what she wanted as long as she knew how to work.

Besides, talking to someone that would answer back with some bite every now and then was way better than getting Sai's monotonic responses. He might be able to take the edge off and have some fun verbally sparring with her.

It didn't really hurt that she was rather cute too. Kami, how did he not notice she was a girl? He must have missed a few remedial detail-noticing lectures back in the day.

XxX

(Konohagakure no Sato – Konoha Hospital)

Tsunade had been periodically checking on Jiraiya ever since he had been admitted to the hospital. He was out of critical condition, but he had still suffered grievous wounds that required him to remain in the hospital. Breathing on his own was still a horrible chore due to the injuries to the throat that he had suffered at the hands of Pein, forcing him to remain hooked up to a machine to assist him with the necessary process as well as an apparatus to provide him with nutrition due to his inability to even properly swallow food. That wasn't even mentioning his most glaring injury that would hinder him forever, his missing left arm that had been severed at the shoulder.