Chapter One: Episode 3

In this Episode, Michelle admits to herself that her pregnancy was the result of her thoughtless behavior, and she decides to give the baby up for adoption, though that almost breaks her heart

Chapter One: Baby Boomer

Episode 3

Michelle lay there staring at the picture on the nightstand. Herself with Callie five or six years ago, when her girl was only nine, with big uncertain teeth bursting out of a confident smile. Only Callie and Michelle's mother knew the secret of her pregnancy, and Callie had been a great comfort, but she was having a tough time already. And now add Edouard to the family, and a baby? And what kind of a start was she giving the baby in all that possible, or potential—alright probable turmoil. And could Michelle even see herself living with and loving Edouard?

She could not. The time had come to seriously consider Plan B.

Callie came into the room, a look of concern on her face. She sat on the edge of the bed, and clasped Michelle'shand.

Michelle said, "I was going to tell him tonight." 

Callie nodded. "You probably should."

"No. It's too late." 

"Still a month."

"No." Michelle squeezed her daughter's hand. "It's too late for me and him. Edoo's story is not about getting married and having a baby. His story is about how this is the start of his career in TV. He won't understand why I waited to tell him. He will hate me."

"When he sees you he'll know you're preggers."

"No. No one can tell. How could they, such a great old cow."

"Well, I can almost see how you could get it over on Edoo. But at the show they'll know it in a minute. Then howwill he feel?"

"Yes, that would be even worse. He'll be humiliated. I'll be..." Michelle saw that it wouldn't work. "So there goes the show. Bye-bye easy money."

"If you do that, he'll kill you even worse. He won't have a partner. It's a couples challenge."

Michelle was all too aware of that. She sat up, panting from that little effort, and placed her fingers on the soft, round world that contained her troubled baby boy. She forced back tears Callie could not be allowed to see.

"I've got some errands." She stood up, found her shoes, and went into the bathroom to check her face in the mirror. The baby kicked Michelle in the liver. He did that whenever Michelle thought about rejecting him. She had not told Callie about the adoption agency. Plan B.

***

"Normally, we like to have more lead time," said the adoption counselor. "That way we can work with expectant mothers."