Chapter Four: Episode 12

1385 words: about 6 minutes read time.

The cover-up is on! "I'm gonna walk in there and lie my head off!"

"So." Edouard sat down at the table, and clinked his glass on hers. "Not Zam."

"No." Trying to look casual, Michelle straightened up a little, and rolled her shoulders, to ease the pressure on her breasts. She'd been doing that all day. They were hard as grapefruits, and that surreptitious movement gave her a few minutes of relief.

She saw that he wasn't going to let the father question go. So let the games begin in earnest. "You remember our weekend in Park City?"

"Sure." He flushed, and the goatee that framed his fleshy chin quivered a little. They had been in love that night. They had made love that night. But for purposes of this story, all that mattered was that they were out of town. "She stayed with Craig that weekend. He was supposed to be watching her." One benefit of this story was that it made her ex- hub look like an irresponsible parent. The story wasn't true, but it still gave her satisfaction.

Realization brightened his eyes. "Something happened that weekend?" Michelle nodded.

"With who?"

"A boy her own age. A kid from one of the bands from out of town. Indiana or someplace. Someone we don't know. I really don't want to talk about it"

Edouard nodded, looking so solemn. If he only knew how much worse it was than what she had told him. Yet telling him this outrageous lie made her almost feel giddy, and that seemed very odd–she should feel guilty and fearful.

"So." Edouard sipped his wine. "How about this show?" 

Michelle nodded. "I think I can do it."

Edouard did a poor job of suppressing his joy. "Good. I think it will be good for you. And for us."

"That's the thing." She made sure to look him in the eye. "There is no more us. I just don't think I want to resume, whatever. We're friends, that's all."

"But we were friends before."

"No, we were a couple. Sweethearts, sweetheart."

 "But what about the show?"

"I'll be your girlfriend for the show. I can pull that off. But don't overplay it."

Edouard sighed mournfully. "Alright. I guess I haven't been very... strong for you lately."

Michelle did not feel like responding to his neediness. "No, you haven't."

"Well. I can be your friend. We can be friends. Good friends. And partners." He seemed to be taking their breakup rather well. "You know, they'll find out about Callie and the baby. In fact they will love the baby."

"There's no reason she has to be in this. She or the baby." Michelle rolled her shoulders for a few more minutes of blessed breast relief. She thought she might take an Advil now. Instead she had another sip of wine. "I just want to keep the focus on us."