Chapter 1

You've had another exhausting day at work and are on your way home. You look out of the window of the train you've been taking recently, as your car is in the workshop. And you had to say it was good again. You didn't have to concentrate on the traffic and were able to switch off before and after work. The only thing you miss about your car is that you were alone. No one had been there. But here, in a crowded place on the train, you felt uncomfortable early in the morning and wanted to escape. In the afternoon, when you got off work, it wasn't so bad, even if you had squeezed yourself into the far corner. But when you saw the train stop at the next stop and lots and lots of children getting on, you panicked again and decided to leave the train immediately. There were only two stops left before you had to get off anyway. So you could just walk the rest. Your body relaxed almost imperceptibly as you breathed in the fresh afternoon air and noticed another wet smell mingling with it. You look up at the sky.

"It's going to rain soon..." you mumble and quickly go on your way, avoiding the large crowds. It wasn't long before you turned into a neighborhood where it was less busy. You sighed with relief and went on your way more relaxed. But you falter as you pass an alley after a few minutes. It sounded like hissing and meowing. You weren't really interested in that. There were probably some cats fighting with each other when you heard someone start to laugh spitefully and you couldn't just keep walking. So you went inside and saw two young men, probably in their early 20s, terrorizing several cats, throwing stones at them or, as you could see, a cat lying motionless against the wall and the other cats trying to help.

You panicked when you saw the men and wanted to leave, but when you saw one of them pick up another stone, a considerably large one, you intervened and kicked the man in the back of the knee so that he collapsed to his knees and let go of the stone. You immediately elbowed him in the face. Nose bleeding, he went down, while you immediately grabbed the other man, who was still surprised and silenced him with your knee as you kicked him in the stomach. He also sank to his knees while you grabbed his head and sent it crashing to the floor. He remained motionless while the other one got up and stared at you angrily. Protectively, you stood in front of the cats looking at you from behind. Your gaze was cold and cruel, while inside you were trembling with fear. But your outward appearance did not show it. The young man fell silent and backed away a little. He had never seen such a look before! It was almost like the look of a predator waiting to strike. So he immediately ran away, leaving his partner behind.
Trembling, you exhaled and fell to your knees. Only now did you realize that you had been holding your breath the whole time. You inhale and exhale quickly before turning to the cats.

"Are you all right?" You look worriedly at the cats, your attention focused more on the cat lying on the ground against the wall, where the other cats were standing protectively in front of it. They also hissed at you when you tried to approach the cat. You immediately stop and crouch down again, smiling gently.
"Don't worry. I don't want to hurt you. Let me help your friend." you said in a soothing voice. Some cats looked at you, if you didn't know better, skeptically. They reluctantly made way for you, except for one dark green cat with lighter strands of fur. His golden eyes sparkled at you, scrutinizing you. You smile softly and carefully approach the cat, which looked at you with weak eyes. You carefully touch the cat's head and stroke it with two fingers. The cat closes its eyes briefly and nuzzles your hand.
"Hum..." you smile and ask if you can pick him up. You don't know why, but it was your habit to ask before touching someone who was hurt, even if it was rare for it to happen. As if the cat understood you, it nodded. Your eyes widened in surprise before you smiled again and carefully took the cat in your arms.

"CHHH!" you suddenly hear hissing and meowing behind you. You turn around, expecting to be attacked by the cats, but when you feel a strong blow to your head and topple to the side, you instinctively hug the cat in your arms to your chest to stop it from hurting you.
"You fucking bitch!" hissed the male voice that you could only dimly make out. But you didn't move as you tried to calm your racing pulse, not letting your inner panic attack get through to you until you felt another kick on you. You don't even flinch. Your eyes went blank and you just stare at this man out of dead eyes. He hesitated for a moment before taking the stone he knocked you down with to turn it on you, but the dark green cat and the black and blue cat jumped on him and extended their claws. The small, dark green cat stabbed your attacker in the eyes with his paws, while the dark blue, indigo-colored cat ran his claws over the carotid artery and immediately spurted blood. The man screamed and dropped the stone before pulling the two cats away from him and running off. Both cats landed softly on the ground before the dark green cat immediately ran to you.

The others also stood around you and watched you lying motionless on the floor, blood leaking from the back of your head. The cat in your arms realized that the grip on him was weakening. Carefully, the cat nudged you and suppressed his pain.
"Ah... I'm sorry..." you whispered softly and slowly raised your arm and stroked him, but your arm lowered to the ground again and you tried to straighten up, but immediately buckled your arms again and almost landed on the ground if you hadn't caught yourself with your other arm in time.
A few cats flinched briefly and looked at you worriedly as you tried to get up again and this time succeeded. You kneel on the muddy ground and hold your head, then look at your hand. Blood. Lots of blood... You shake your head slowly and lift the blonde-haired cat with one arm, while you leaned against the wall with the other and straightened up. You leaned against it and held your side. It throbbed, but the pain wasn't that bad. You sigh and try to ignore your dizziness and look around. There was a cardboard box. A big cardboard box.

"It's going to start raining soon. I'll take you to my place for now... But for now..." you look down at the cat in your arms. "You need to be examined. There's a vet nearby..." you whisper and carefully try to stand upright before slowly walking towards the box. You open your jacket with one hand and take it off, put it in the empty box and carefully put the cat down before looking at the others, who seem to understand you. Carefully, one after the other came to you and let you pick them up and put them in the box. Except for two that just jumped in. It was the dark green cat and the indigo cat who had also helped you.

You look into the box. "Good, there's room for everyone." You carefully put your small bag in too, before lifting the box and almost tipping it forward. But you turned and hit your back against the wall of the house. You heard meowing from the cats and one even stood on its hind legs and looked at you. His fur was a light dark navy blue color, but his ears and paws looked like they had been dipped in light blue paint. They were a bright blue-green color. You could also see a similar color on the tip of his tail. You smile.
"I'll be fine. The important thing first is to check you for injuries. I happen to know the vet," you smile and continue walking. This time with a firmer footing. But before you stepped out of the alley, you pushed the one with the box against the wall so that it couldn't fall when you let go of it. You carefully pulled your hood over your head from your sweater. Then you walked on. Some passers-by looked at you strangely, but you were largely ignored.

So it took you less than ten minutes to enter the vet's surgery. You look at the cats, who are furrowing their brows, probably because of the smell. Smirking slightly, you see the navy blue cat start to sneeze.
"Oh, y/n? What a surprise!" you heard a familiar voice and immediately you look up and smile, but you moved too fast and only notice how you tipped to the side and dropped the box, including the cats, and you collapsed on the floor...