Chapter 10

A slightly longer chapter, as an apology for not continuing on a weekly basis >_<
And at the end: Uhh, Yandere Zhongli!

________________

You haven't felt this good for a long time and wanted to use this energy to go for a run. Just to run, feel the wind in your hair and enjoy the brief freedom.

But you didn't. For one thing, there was snow on the sidewalks, and for another, it was cold as shit and slippery as ass. And you didn't want to challenge your body directly for fear of it coming back or you falling. However, the characters notice your jittery character and that you want to push your body to its limits. But they also advise you against it. That's why you pounced on the books and notes when you were in the library three days ago. You looked at everything meticulously and added details as you put together some records that matched.

The Genshin characters watched you with delight. Your skin wasn't so pale anymore, it had a bit more color, your eyes weren't lackluster either, they were just shining with joy and enthusiasm.
"You're pretty pleased, aren't you?" Kaeya grinned and sat down next to you. You laugh softly and look at him.

"Yes, thanks all to you. I feel really, really good. But I don't want to get my hopes up, because it probably won't last. Still, I want to enjoy this moment at least," you reply calmly and look at them all with a smile. It was a real smile, not a fake one like you usually do. Everyone's hearts warmed when they saw your real smile and they rejoiced with you.
You look at your notes again and then frown as you notice a few inconsistencies. You put this note away and quickly look for something else, while your face became serious. After several minutes, you seem to have found what you were looking for.

The new recording and the recording you had put next to you are now together. You get up and go to the window and hold it up to the light. The Genshin characters watched you too, their eyes widening as they saw the soft light through the parchment and the fine, thin lines forming a pattern.
"My cell phone, quick! Take a picture!" you commanded and Aether did so immediately. He knew your barcode for the cell phone and unlocked it before taking a picture of the notes you pressed on the window.

"Okay, got it!" he exclaims and you nod. You let go of the parchments and put them in a separate folder and look at the picture on your phone.
"These squiggly ones... I've seen them somewhere before... but where...?" you hold your head and squint your eyes.

"Where have I seen this before..." you mumble, massaging your temples. You knew you knew it, but you couldn't place it. You breathe in and out deeply as you crack your neck once.
But then you paused as suddenly those squiggles appeared before your eyes.
"No... impossible..." you whisper, lowering your head and laughing uncomfortably, grabbing your head and turning pale.

"Now I know how I know them...Ha...haha..." you straighten up and run your hand over your head, looking at your cats, who were looking at you worriedly and partially scrutinizing you.
"Y/n? What's wrong?" Aether asked worriedly. You continue to laugh, however the characters heard it was a dry, mirthless and surprised laugh.

"These squiggles... these squiggles..." you mumble, reaching into your hair.
"That I...would go to that place again...haha...unbelievable..." you look to your boys.
"The things I don't do for my darlings..." you stand up and look at them seriously.
"We're going on a trip to the place... where it all began for me..." the boys open their eyes and look at you.

"You mean... the place... your...", Kaeya whispered and you nod.
"The place where I spent most of my time in darkness and torture... the place of my past... on the walls... were these squiggles... I don't know if they have anything to do with it... however, you have to take everything into consideration.... but before that I want to look more into this place to see if anything occult was going on... Because it wasn't just the squiggles that I was looking at every day... there were other signs too, but I paid less attention to them... However, if it's connected, then we have to find out. If there's a way to bring you back with it, that should be fine..." you mumble at the end, pinching your arms and biting your lips.
This was the last place you ever wanted to be...

~X~

Breathing in and out deeply, you see this large, empty and closed-off industrial building. You unconsciously grab the first arm that was standing next to you. It was Wriothesley, looking at you and noticing your trembling and discomfort.
"We can go in alone if it's too hard for you," you feel a hand on your shoulder and turn around. It was Xiao. You smile gently and hug Xiao, who tenses up but then puts his arms around you protectively.

"It's all right. You're with me," you whisper, reaching for Xiao's hand and squeezing it tightly. Wanderer came on the other side of you and took your left hand in his. Now bolder with the two beside you and the others behind and partially in front of you, you were surprisingly quiet. Together you entered the grounds, passed the barrier and entered the building. Now, however, you began to sweat and breathe heavily as you unconsciously slowed down, which is why Zhongli, who was standing close behind you, almost ran into you. He placed both his strong hands on your shoulders and gave you the support you needed. Unconsciously, you leaned against him. He smiled gently, but you couldn't see it.

But Zhongli's gaze darkened afterwards and his amber eyes shone wildly. Everyone felt the pressure and looked at him, while Xiao flinched briefly, which you noticed and looked at him worriedly. He noticed this and looked at you with a minimal smile and squeezed your hand. You calm down and relax. Nothing will happen to you as long as you have these bodyguards by your side!Still, you couldn't stop yourself from swallowing. The entrance looked exactly as you remembered it.

"We have to go upstairs..." you mumble and continue walking, followed by the others. Now you start to feel sick again the closer you get to the room where you were tied up and tortured for years.

You feel the bile coming up your throat and as you stand in front of the door and open it and then enter the large room, you couldn't hold on any longer and jump to the side and throw up in a corner. You vomit your guts out and notice someone gently stroking your back and covering your eyes. You knew the smell, it was Zhongli's. Tears gathered in your eyes and your body instinctively wanted to flee. Your legs were already turning towards the exit and every fiber of your body was telling you to run! Run! Run for your life! You start hyperventilating again and immediately look around for an escape route. You just had tunnel vision and don't see the Genshin characters, only these men who did this to you. You immediately sprint off, dodging the guys who tried to grab you. Fleeing, you jumped over Wanderer by grabbing his head and pushing him down, only to make the jump to the door on his shoulder.

"Y/N!" you heard panicked shouts, but you were already heading for the stairs to get away. You were breathing heavily and your body was acting on instinct. You didn't even realize that you had hurt yourself and had a deep cut on your arm with blood running down it. But when your legs lost their grip and you were about to fall off, Xiao appeared in front of you and caught you. You were breathing heavily, your eyes wide open as you tried to free yourself from his grip. Tears welled up in your eyes.

"Let go of me! Let go of me!" you lash out and hit Xiao in the face, who didn't even feel the slightest itch. Your punch was nothing, he barely felt it and he knew that you would never hit him. Convulsively you try to make yourself heavy, trying to kick, but all you felt was a firm hug and Xiao's soothing voice.

"Shhh Y/n... I'm here..." he whispered by your ear, gently stroking your head. Shortly afterwards, you hear Zhongli's calm voice and your body relaxes again. Your breathing slows down again and your eyes return to normal. You blink a few times and push away from Xiao. Your paleness was still clearly visible. You turn around and see the worried looks of the others and you don't know why, but you take a step towards Zhongli, who was standing right behind you, and hug him tightly, burying your head against his chest and feeling his strong, warm arms around you. You inhale his scent and calm down, finally relaxing in his arms.

"Y/n... you best go outside. We'll take your cell phone and take pictures of anything that seems important," Baizhu began calmly, placing a hand on your injured arm. Your cut healed immediately. But you shake your head.
"No... I want... to stay here..." you croaked and coughed once. Not only was your throat burning and dry, but you also had the taste of vomit in your mouth.
"Here, drink this." A bottle of water was held out to you and you took it, thanked them and then paused. Your head, as well as the heads of the others, immediately turned to the new person grinning at you.

"Yahoo~," he waved his hands. Gin the librarian was here. The boys were shocked as well. They didn't even notice him.
"I didn't think you would ever dare to return in this area. But I knew I'd find you here." He walked past you, up to the room where you were locked up.

"Wow, seeing this in real life now is even more unique! This is where you were held captive and tortured, right?" You flinch when you hear him call out and you realize that your Genshin boys are gritting their teeth and are about to kill this man.

"This..." you growl, furiously furrowing your brow and clenching your hand into a fist, but Zhongli loosens it, interlocking his hand with yours and smiling softly at you. You look at him, blinking, and then nod. Together, you all went upstairs. You swallow again, but were much calmer than before. Together you entered the room, where there were still some markings from the crime scene that was cordoned off by the police at the time. Graffiti now adorned the walls so that they were barely visible.

"Hopefully we'll find some clues, despite the paintings on the walls..." you mumble, ignoring the corner where you were tied up. The handcuffs were still hanging there, but they were rusted through and crumbling in places.

"This wall is decorated with the squiggly pattern, but it was painted over because of the graffiti..." you tussle your hair in frustration. "Y/n, Y/n, Y/n... let me do it!" you heard the voice of Gin, who was suddenly behind you and put an arm around your shoulder. You acted immediately, freed yourself from his grip, turned and tried to kick him with your martial arts experience, but he held your foot loosely with his right hand.

"Wow... you're still so rebellious! I didn't know you could still move like that? Is your condition better today?" he asked with a mischievous look and you clicked your tongue and let go of him."Stop blabbering and make sure you bring out the patterns instead! Or was that just empty talk?" You cross your arms in front of your chest and give him a cold look. Your boys were proud of you, the way you looked at and treated him. That authority suited you!Gin laughed softly and took out a device, which he pointed at the wall. A beam of light scanned the wall completely and filtered out the unimportant things, like the graffiti paint. The blank wall with the scrollwork appeared.

"I'll make an exception this time, my dear. Here, I'll give it to you. I have another device." He pressed it into your hand, which you accepted in confusion.
"I found it in the books, these patterns: These are Enochian writings.", Gin explained calmly and you widen your eyes.

"Enochian writings? Seriously? The Enochian language is the language of the angels. Derived from Enoch, who was a biblical patriarch. According to tradition, Enoch had great knowledge from a divine source. Why are there Enochian signs on the walls here?" you asked, confused, and Gin looked at you, impressed. He whistled once.

"Wow, you're well versed in history. But yes, that's correct. However, I can't say why these signs are here either. Let alone that I can read or understand the ancient language," Gin explained.

"Hm, at least now we know what these signs are... then all we need is a book on Enochian scripts. I assume there's a book like that in your library?" You raise an eyebrow and see him grinning. He takes something out of his shoulder bag. A thick, black book with golden inscriptions.

"I want the book back. You can keep the device. That makes us even, I take it?" he says with a grin. You look at him, confused at first, but then you nod in understanding.

"Good, that makes us even. Even if it's not the right direction, you've helped me a lot. Thank you." You bow slightly respectfully.

"Ah~ right, bow deeper to me-Argh!", you kicked him hard in the shin, which he hadn't seen coming this time. Once again, your Genshin men grinned proudly at your actions.

"Stop talking!" you hiss, but lift the book and thank him again.

"It's all right. I'll keep looking around here, as there are other things I'm interested in!" before either of you could say anything, he disappeared. You narrow your eyes slightly and growl.

"I hope you die miserably!" you grumble angrily, looking down at the book in your hands.

"So cramming again. Hopefully there's something useful behind it and it'll get us somewhere..." you mutter and look around the room again. You look at the wall with the chains and handcuffs. Your gaze goes blank and you turn your head away, looking at a place where there used to be a table where they all ate, except you. You always had to watch from the wall. You exhale quietly and then look up at the ceiling, where the surveillance cameras used to hang.

"Ah... that really brings back unpleasant memories..." you mumble, feeling sick again.
"Whaaa!" you all suddenly hear a scream and you flinch. Shortly afterwards, you heard a loud growling and barking and a gin who came running into the room far too quickly and slammed the door. He leaned against the door, breathing heavily, and looked at you in shock.

"Huge... Huge dogs!" You could already hear loud barking, growling and scratching at the door. Glaring coldly at him, you hand things over to Neuvillette rather than walking towards Gin. Grabbing his collar, you pull him towards you, which he commented with a "whoa!", yank the door open and shove him out before you had the door closed again. You were looked at by the Genshin boys as if you were an alien.

"Did you... literally just throw him to the dogs?" Wriothesley asked, irritated.
"Hum." you just do and nod.

"Ahhh! Y/n! Let me in! Ah! Stop it! Out!" he shouted and you roll your eyes, opening the door again and looking at Gin, who has been bitten by the dogs. You walk out and immediately feel Xiao teleport next to you.

"Don't! What if you get hurt?" he exclaimed worriedly and the dogs looked at you and you looked at the dogs. Your gaze is calm and you crouch down in front of them. Some of them growled, but one stayed calm and came up to you and sniffed your outstretched hand before licking it and the dogs let go of Gin too. The others also came to you, sniffed your hand and then rubbed their heads against you. You giggle slightly.

"Ah, I really love dogs. You're my favorite animals!" you said enthusiastically, stroking their heads and watching them wag their tails. Your boys looked slightly miffed.
"And you don't like cats?" Childe grumbled and pouted.

"Yes, I like cats, but I love dogs. They'll always be my number one animal," you replied calmly, stroking the dogs extensively and giving them the cuddles of their lives. Some even lay on their bellies and enjoyed it.

"Xiao... do you want some?" you smile at him and he crouches down to you. He didn't want to, but when he saw the look on your face, he felt like he had to comply with your request. He cautiously reached out his hand and another dog sniffed him and immediately snuggled up to him. He felt the fluffy, tousled fur and how loving these animals were, even though they almost mauled Gin.

"What the? Why are you so good with animals?" hissed Gin. The other men also came behind you.
"Animals... are the far better people... they're better than us." you gave him a cold look and he swallowed.

"Your look is really creepy sometimes... anyway, thanks for keeping the critters off my back. I'm going to go now too, I'm pretty much done. With that, he slowly stood up and walked away from you. The dogs watched him, but left him alone as you continued to pet them. There were three dogs. A German shepherd, a Lesly crossbreed and a mongrel. You think it's a German Shepherd-Mongrel mix because your dog looked the same back then.

"I'm sorry, you cute dogs, but I have to get going. And you shouldn't be in a building like this. I'll make sure you find a better one!" You pull out your cell phone and call the vet, but you can barely understand her because there was no reception. You sigh and mutter
"Damn!". You see the looks on the dogs' faces and you feel faint as they look at you, yowling and tucking their tails between their legs. That dog look makes you go soft.

"I'll... I'll see to it that you get a new home as soon as possible!" you said seriously, ignoring the looks from your boys, who were looking at you strangely. You went to the open window and jumped onto the window sill, where Xiao was immediately with you, holding you tightly for fear that you would fall. He acted instinctively. You smile and look at your cell phone. You had reception! Xiao held you by the hem of your hood and you dialed the number again. Shortly afterwards, the vet answered too. You quickly explained the situation to them and you heard them sigh.

"Y/n, if you were as nice to humans as you are to animals, you wouldn't lead such a bitter life..." the vet sighed and some Geshin characters who had good senses, like the two dragons and Xiao, inwardly agreed with the vet. She really was far too nice to animals, although the men couldn't complain about the way you treat them either. Even if they could do without some of the treatments, especially in the early days when they came to you as cats.

"All right, thank you! I'll send you the location!" you smile and hang up before she can ask you what you're doing in a place like this. After that, you let Xiao help you and he doesn't let you out of his sight. The dogs came to you again and wagged their tails as you happily told them that they would soon be better.

>>Ah, she really talks to animals as if she were talking to a human...<<, some thought and then smiled. You were weird and interesting...

~X~

A few hours passed and the doctor picked up the dogs, who had immediately felt at ease with her and were taken away. In the meantime, you and the men had also arrived back at your home, where you had thrown yourself directly onto the couch and closed your eyes. Childe and Kaeya jumped onto your back as cats and trotted over it, which relaxed you enormously. It was a small but nice massage that you really enjoyed.

"Are you very tired, Y/n?" Zhongli asked you, remaining in human form.

"I'm fine... Tired, not really, but exhausted by the events... I never dared to dream of ever returning to this place and re-entering the three worst rooms..." you mumble muffled into the pillow. The cats and the scattered men looked at you sadly.

Then you feel a gentle hand stroking your head. You look up and see Zhongli sitting on the back of your couch with his hand on your head. You blushed and lowered your face back into your pillow. Zhongli smirked slightly, while most of the others scoffed. They just thought your behavior was so obvious.

"You really only favor Zhongli, Xiao, and Kuni, don't you?" grinned Aether, eyeing your red ears. You grumbled unintelligible words to yourself and most of them laughed at that.
"Man you really seem to love Zhongli~ you only blush so much around him~" you suddenly heard the mischievous humming of Childe who had transformed back. You coughed and blushed even redder, thanking all the gods that your face was pressed into the pillow.

"I'm going to kill you... Childe!" you muttered under your breath, ignoring the laughter.

"Childe! That's enough!" you heard the cold and warning voice of Zhongli. The orange-haired man laughed lightly.

"I just wanted to lighten the mood a little~" he hummed again. You straightened up and hit Childe in the sides with your elbows. He gasped and went to his knees.
"Haha!", Kuni laughed, looking condescendingly at Childe. He smiled proudly.

"Ah sorry Childe, my arm slipped..." you said calmly, avoiding Zhongli's gaze as he looked at you. You felt his gaze, which felt like it was looking deep into your soul. You blushed again and fanned yourself with your hand to cool your hot face.

"Ahem... whatever. Go outside for my sake. I need to concentrate here..." you mumble, not looking at anyone. Some of them grinned.

"So you want to get rid of us?" Childe clutched his chest theatrically, pretending to be offended.

"No, but I'm about to get rid of you, for good!" you growled, scowling at him. He just grinned and then started to laugh.

"You're so beautiful when you look angry!" he laughed and you raised an eyebrow.

"Ah, so you're saying I'm ugly otherwise?" you said in a cold voice. He faltered and the others now looked at Childe with pity. That was a mistake.

"Ah... no... well, that's not what I meant... I mean... you're always beautiful! But when you're angry... you're just even more beautiful!" he was sweating slightly and tried to talk his way out of it.

"Childe... you'd better not turn into a cat for the first time! Because then I'll throw you out of the window! You won't get any more cuddles for three days and you'll sleep on the floor!" He opened his eyes and looked at you pleadingly.

"No! Let me sleep in the bed!" he begged, which you denied.
"No." Your gaze turned cold. He swallowed and whined, while Kuni grinned broadly and Xiao was also happy inside. He turned back into a cat and jumped onto your lap, followed by Kuni, who snuggled up to you. If you look closely, you can see Kuni grinning mischievously at Childe and provoking him. He looked miffed at the cat and growled, while you hugged both cats to you and placed them on your lap, petting them as you looked over your papers.

The others sighed out too and turned back into cats. Partly because they didn't want to be a burden to you and partly because they didn't want to embarrass you any further. Because you treat them differently when they are in their cat forms. Only Zhongli remained in human form for a moment as he also changed back and jumped next to you, curling up next to your hips. You blushed again and felt a sudden chill run down your spine as Kaeya and Wriothesley jumped onto your shoulder and used their powers on you. Thankfully, you look to them and work on the Enochian alphabet...