Chapter 5

It's Saturday and that means - a new chapter! <3

Warning: painful abuse and traumatic events in this chapter!
But I promise it will get better in the following chapters.

---------------------------------------------------------

Your cats were worried most of the time. Your eyes were blank as you sat at the living room table talking on the phone. You had been using your laptop for your home office. You've been working with that look on your face for three days now. Even your cats, who usually never wanted to cuddle with you, tried to get you to cuddle them, but you rarely complied with their wishes. Your skin had also become extremely pale. They were also suspicious of your body. Because you had a few scars that they could see when you tried to put on your sweater. The nightmares you'd been having for three days didn't make things any easier. It tore at your body and your mood.Purring to calm you down, your cats lay on top of you or around you. And it really helped."Right, next caller then..." you mumble and set yourself free again. You immediately hear the doorbell ring and the tenant is put through.
"Welcome to the customer center of the repair department, my name is Y/n L/n. What can I do for you?" you asked in a fake friendly voice and your cats were impressed by your acting skills.But they flinched, as did you, when the tenant on the phone started shouting and insulting you. You and the company you work for. You work for a housing association and are part of the repairs department. You schedule repair work, plan emergencies and send the fitters out. Unfortunately, you sometimes had to listen to the tenants' bad moods when the repairman didn't show up or the hot water or heating still didn't work.

It's the same now. The tenant yells at you that the fitter hasn't shown up yet, even though the time he was supposed to show up is already over. You try to stay calm.

"Judge, please calm down. I can understand your displeasure. I'll be happy to check for you why our fitter didn't show up. Please give me your contract number and-" you are interrupted and unconsciously grind your teeth as you inhale and exhale deeply. Even the cats heard the tenant's shouting, even though you were wearing a headset. You rub your forehead and stroke the first cat you could reach. It was Al Haitham and you stroke his gray fur. With your other hand, you squeeze your rubber ball to suppress your rage.

"Judge! That's enough! I don't need to be insulted here! If you and I can't talk to each other in a reasonable tone, like two grown-up people, I'll end the call!" you interrupt him, raising your voice a little while she was still quiet.

"As I said, I understand your displeasure and it's not great what happened. However, I see a message from the mechanic that he's running late because he's currently stuck in a traffic jam. He tried to call you, but you didn't answer your phone. So please calm down and be patient. Someone will be with you in the next 45 minutes", but unfortunately the tenant did not calm down. He continues to complain about why he is not on time, even though an appointment has been made for this time. You reply that the mechanic can't do anything about the traffic jam and it's not his fault. As he still won't shut up, you reply coldly and without emotion:

"Fine, there's no point in continuing to argue with you. I don't need to be insulted by someone like you. I'm ending the call. Have a nice day and a nice weekend. Goodbye." With that, you hang up and leave a note. Then you put your headset down, put yourself on 'short break' and lean back against the couch. You let out a groan.

"This is exactly why I hate humans!" you growl and feel Aether rubbing his head against yours to calm you down. Xiao and Scaramouche did the same to your leg.Heck, even Al Haitham, Neuvillette, and Wriothesley purred soothingly and rubbed against you."You guys are sweet. Thank you so much. It really calms me down." you reply, stretching once more and taking out the next caller...

---

...at 4.30 p.m. you got off work and turned everyone off. You throw yourself onto the couch again and close your eyes tensely. Your brow furrowed as you realized your migraine was slowly coming back.

"Okay, I'll make you something to eat," you mumble and get up, noticing that you're getting black in the eyes. You quickly shook your head and went into the kitchen. You ignored the worried looks on the cats' faces. While your cats were eating, they were also watching you as you slurped up some hot chicken soup. You were lost in your thoughts while watching a series on Netflix on the side. All you knew was that it was an anime. It was about some isekai anime."Meow!" you hear it meow and see Childe jump onto the couch and cuddle up to you. You laugh and stroke him once.

"Oh, you cats make me kind of happy!" you grin and pick Childe up and lift him over you before pressing him to your chest and stroking his head. But you suddenly feel a strange scratching in your throat and your lungs constrict briefly.

You coughed once and then a second and a third time in your hand. When you noticed a warm liquid, you saw that there was blood on your hand. Your cats were immediately excited and jumped onto the couch, especially Aether. You coughed again, this time a bigger gush of blood, rather you got a nosebleed too.

"Ah, here we go again..." you mumble quietly and stand up, holding your head again and walking into the bathroom. Blood drips onto your clothes and you sigh as you look at yourself in the bathroom mirror. Shortly afterwards, you treat yourself and take a pill in the hope that it will work.

"Meow!" they meowed at the same time and looked at you. You smile."It's all good. It happens more often. No need to worry." You close the bathroom door and clean yourself up...

---

...half an hour passed before you came out of the bathroom and poured your soup back into the pot. Your cats followed you everywhere you went and never let you out of their sight. You sigh in annoyance.

"Listen, it's all good. Really!" you say annoyed and look at them too."I'm going to take a shower now. Go to your room." With that, you turn around and go back into the bathroom. You didn't actually want to take a shower now, but you need some time to yourself. You undress and get into the shower.

You leave the water on and wait until it warms up and you then lower yourself down properly. Shortly afterwards, you close your eyes with pleasure and briefly allow yourself to be embraced by the warm rays. But then you open your eyes again and start to wash yourself. Your gaze fell on your body. You look sad and then continue washing yourself. Shortly afterwards, you wash yourself off and enjoy the warm rays again. Then you sigh and turn off the water, get out of the shower and tie a towel around your body. Shortly afterwards, you tie one around your head. Then you realize that you forgot to get fresh clothes. You close your eyes and walk out of the bathroom and don't see your cats. Have they really been in your bedroom? You smile slightly and enter your room. Your cats were all sitting on the bed, looking up at you with wide eyes. You laugh.

"Have you never seen a half-naked woman before?" you laugh and drop your towel. All the cats turned their heads to the side and you swear you saw their fur turn as red as Diluc's for a moment. But it's probably just your imagination. You turn your back to them, dry yourself off and at least put on your underwear and bra."That's all right. You can look again," you laugh and see your cats slowly turn their heads towards you and then freeze as they look at your body. You blink in confusion. Then you smile sadly.

"Ugly, isn't it?" you walk towards your bed and look down at your cats, who hadn't taken their eyes off your body."My body is ugly with all the scars, isn't it? I know it is. Unsightly. All full of scars. Ugly and painful scars," you whisper, crouching down in front of your bed and reaching out to stroke Aether, but he flinches and takes a step back. You widen your eyes briefly and smile weakly, pulling your hand back and crossing your arms on the bed."Sorry. I didn't mean to scare you. If I saw someone like me, I'd probably react the same way..." you smile sadly.

"...But it really hurts... you cats are the only ones who have." You close your eyes, laughing softly. Aether opens his eyes, understanding what he was doing, and immediately comes to you and nudges your arm. But you don't pet him for fear of being rejected again. The other cats slowly came to you too. They looked at your scarred arms. Some bit their tongues while you stared at them too.