𝐂𝐡𝐚𝐩𝐭𝐞𝐫 𝐟𝐨𝐮𝐫

5:43 pm

Im standing in front of a tall glistening skyscraper I looked up at it. Towering over me and this parking lot while covering the my view of the sun, this was where Jonathan worked. And all I knew was that his office was on the eighteenth floor.

"Damn." I whispered under my breath, I then took a deep breath and mustered up the courage to walk into the lobby. I walked towards the lady in the front desk while she was tapping on the keyboard, just as I was about to introduce myself the lady paused what she was doing and looked up at me with some disinterest, it was clear that she hated her job and honestly I couldn't blame her.

I gave her a warm smile. "Hello, my name's Linda Harris I'm here to see Jonathan Harris... my husband." I said as I fiddled with the diamond on my ring finger.

The lady then signaled me with her hand to go ahead. "Go right ahead, he told me you'd be coming with no questions." I then gave her a nod and smile. "Thank you."

I looked around at the busy lobby other business people we scattered all over the place, as they walked in and out of elevators with briefcases and a phone pressed against their ear, they all seemed so robotic.

I recognized how all these people seem to wear the same attire, noting but dark clothes and white buttoned up shirts. While, here I wearing a Maroon dress and read lipstick as if I was going on a date.

I then straightened the hem of my dress seeing that it was a bit wrinkled from the heavy winds outside, before walking into one of the many elevators and pressed the button that led to the eighth floor, my eyes widened when there were thirty-five total buttons meaning this building had that many floors.

I looked at myself in the reflection of the elevator ceiling making sure that I looked good when I saw Jonathan, my makeup looked good and so did my lipstick.

I rubbed my palms over my dress, I bit my lips softly. I don't know why I was nervous I was just going to see Jonathan in his work office I guess I just wanted to make a good impression for his coworkers because in a way I was a reflection of him.

I looked up at the monitor my heart began to race as I saw that that I was already on the sixth floor. I tapped my heel on the floor and took another deep breath once I opened my eyes I looked up at the monitor once more and here I was, on the eighteenth floor.

Once the elevator doors opened up I stepped out and looked around at all the business men and women scattered around I didn't know where to go until I saw an elder woman with curly gray hair and black square-glasses approaching me with a warm smile, she extended her arm so that she could greet me, I smiled and extended my arm to that I could shake her hand.

"Hi! You must be Linda, it's so nice to finally get to meet you. I'm Jonathan's assistant Sophie." She said warmly as she shook my hand.

I returned the warm smile as I shook her hand back but I also recognized that this wasn't the same assistant Jonathan had before I remembered coming here last time, the assistant I distinctly remembered was younger with blonde hair she was also around the same age as me. While Sophie was older she looked to be around her fifties. "It's nice to meet you Sophie, did Jonathan tell you I'd be here?" I asked her curiously.

Sophie nodded. "He certainly did, follow me I'll take you to his office, lucky for you his schedule isn't too packed today" Sophie said giddily, as she walked me over to Jonathan's office.

As we walked to Jonathan's office I couldn't help but wonder what happened to Jonathan's first assistant, so I decided to ask Sophie.

I cleared my throat and tapped Sophie's shoulder she then paused and turned around to look at me. "Sophie is alright of I ask you a question?" She gave me a polite nod. "Of course, ask me anything you'd like, by that. I mean when it comes to Jonathan and this job" she said with a smile.