𝐂𝐡𝐚𝐩𝐭𝐞𝐫 𝐬𝐢𝐱

January 1st

Happy new years!

Everyone cheered once the clock hit twelve. I pulled Jonathan in for a kiss as his arm wrapped around my waist both of us held a glass of champagne.

We heard fireworks popping from every angle, as the sky lit up with every color possible. "Happy new years." I said with a gleaming smile.

"Happy new years, beautiful." Jonathan said as he raised his glass, I raised my glass as well.

"To new beginnings." I said.

"To new beginnings." Jonathan repeated, we then clinked our glasses and took a sip of our champagne and took a swig. While everyone was busy celebrating and drinking Jonathan grabbed my hand and led me inside the house.

"Come on, I have something to show you." Jonathan said as he walked me through the kitchen and into our bedroom. I wondered what he possibly had to show me that meant being out everyone's sight, but whatever it was made me excited.

"Now I wonder what this is all about." I said with a grin as I followed Jonathan into the bedroom, once we were in the bedroom he closed the door behind us and flipped on the lights.

"You'll see." Jonathan gave me a wink as he walked towards the his wardrobe, he opened one of the drawers and rummaged through his clothes before he pulling out a beautifully wrapped box that was held together by a red bow, seeing this made my eyes light up immediately.

"What's this?" I asked as I grabbed the box from Jonathan's extended hand.

"Go on, open it." Jonathan said with a grin, I smiled at Jonathan before looking back down at the beautifully wrapped box before I slowly began to unwrap it.

As I began to unwrap the box revealing its confinements, my eyes widened as I saw a stunning diamond necklace glistening in the light I gasped and looked back up at Jonathan in shock.

"Jonathan..." I said too stunned to speak, he grinned slightly before sitting beside me he then carefully took the necklace out of the box.

"I know what you're thinking, this must have costed me a fortune." Jonathan said as he unclasped the necklace. "And it did." Jonathan said I felt his knuckles brush against my collarbone as he clipped necklaces around my neck.

"But you're worth much more than what money could buy." Jonathan said his eyes locked onto mine and then the diamond necklace around my neck.

"It's beautiful babe, I love it. But you didn't have to buy a diamond necklace for me to show me how much you love me." I said as I looked down at the necklace around my neck as it reflected off the light I couldn't deny I did love it especially the way it shimmered in the lights.

"It's alright Linda you deserve it, and anyways it looks beautiful around your pretty neck." Jonathan growled lowly pressing his kiss against my neck, we could still hear all the commotion going on outside people laughing, celebrating and drinking.

My cheeks flushed red as Jonathan said those words, I leaned in closer and took Jonathan's hand in mine. "Well at least let me get you something to drink while we're here." I whispered against Jonathan's lips.

"That's going to have to wait until after the party." Jonathan whispered back. I chuckled softly before leaning in to kiss Jonathan tenderly.

I then pulled back before Jonathan stood up from the bed and offered me his hand. "We should probably get back out there, we're the ones hosting the party."

I followed Jonathan out the bedroom I stopped at the mirror and got a good look of myself. I traced my fingers over the diamonds on my necklace, my eyes were glued on it for me it was just a reminder of Jonathan's love it felt too personal and precious for everyone else to see.

"Should I wear it out?" I asked Jonathan my eyes still locked on myself in the mirror. Jonathan glanced back at me before walking behind me looking at me through the mirror.

"I'd feel a lot better if you left here." Jonathan said as he put his hand on my shoulder, I then looked at Jonathan over my shoulder and agreed with him.

"Okay, at least help me unclip it." I said as I took a step closer towards him.

"Okay, stand still." Jonathan said as he began to unclasp the diamond necklace, Jonathan then carefully laid the necklace back in the box as set it down on the night stand.

Jonathan then offered me his arm. "Ready?" He asked with a killer smile.

"Ready." I replied before I wrapped my arm around his we then walked out of our bedroom and into the living room where guests were eating and drinking.

"Well look who it is, if it isn't Mr and Mrs perfect." A low voice cut in between us. Jonathan and I then turned our attention behind us to see once of Jonathan coworkers and his wife.

"Henry I didn't expect you to see you here for the new years." Jonathan said with a grin as the men exchanged a handshake.

Henry the shrugged and chuckled. "Well how about it? I'm starting my new year by visiting my boss." Henry joked,  he then turned to me and extended his arm to shake my hand.

"And I believe you're Mrs. Harris?" Henry asked, i nodded and extended my hand to shake Henry's hand.

"Yes, but please just call me Linda." I said with a smile my other hand still held in to Jonathan's strong arm.

"It's so nice to meet you Linda, Jonathan has said many good things about you." Henry said.

"Well look at that, you two could be the couple of the century, two peas in a pod." Henrys wife said she had a strong eastern Kentucky accent, she had dirty blonde hair and pale green eyes.

I smiled before looking over at Jonathan he  glanced back at me and smiled back at me before we continued to chat with Henry and his wife talking about rather simple things such as traveling and work.

Soon Jonathan and I would part, he was chatting with some of his colleagues as I chatted with Claire, we sat on the soft leather couch as we sipped on some champagne.

Jonathan had his share fair if friends while I liked to keep my circle pretty small.

"So what do you have planned for the new year?" Claire asked as she sat back on the cushions.

"Well I don't know yet, you know Jonathan told me this enterprise is really expanding and it's only going to continue growing. He had goals for this year but me...I'm just trying to get through day by day." I said my expression somber.

Claire nodded thoughtfully. "Well you're not the only one Linda, I guess all of us are trying to figure things out."

I looked over as Jonathan as he talked to a few cousins before turning back to Claire again. "I know Jenna and me could get stuck but you... you've always seemed to have everything figured out."

Claire and I chuckled and put her hand on top of mine. "Believe me when I say this, I think I could be worst out both of you I just tend to suffer in silence." Claire admitted.

Claire's expression then quickly changed from a smile to a somber expression I saw as her eyes began to get glassy.

"Claire what's wrong?" I asked her with concern, in all our years of friendship I've never seen Claire cry a day in my life.

Claire then sniffled and covered her face with her hand. "It's nothing." Claire said her voice began to break slightly.

"It certainly has to be about something." I said before I took Claire's hand I looked around at the guests, as Claire covered her face attempting to avoid unwanted attention.

I then turned my attention back to Claire and took her hand guiding her to a secluded area in the house so that she would be able to talk to me without being disturbed.