𝐂𝐡𝐚𝐩𝐭𝐞𝐫 𝐧𝐢𝐧𝐞

January 2nd

Jonathan

I wake to the smell of bacon and eggs, Linda's in the kitchen cooking, I look at the time to see that it's seven O'clock in the morning.

With a groan and run my hand through my disheveled hair, I saw Scarlett's message from last night and I agreed to meet her and the kid after work, that meant having to make up another excuse to tell Linda.

I crack my neck and stretch my limbs before getting out of bed I went straight to the shower, brushed my teeth, fixed my hair and dressed into one of my best suits before meeting Linda in the kitchen.

She's facing the stove, I walked into the kitchen and began to prepare my morning coffee I thought it was strange she would usually look right over here once she heard me approaching.

"Morning." I say.

No response.

I looked over at Linda, she was eerily silent, as she chopped up some apples slices. She was acting as if I wasn't here.

My gaze then darts towards her hands.

I notice how tightly she's gripping onto the handle of the knife as if she was restraining herself from throwing it across the kitchen or even at me...

I fix my tie, my eyes still locked on Linda as she began to aggressively cut the apple slices with skilled precision.

"Careful, you'll cut yourself." I warn, she then stops momentarily before turning to me her gaze seemed off, as if she was trying to suppress some unmasked rage.

Then her hardened expression turned into a smile. "Breakfast is in the dining room." She spoke calmly before setting the knife back down on the cutting board I could see how red her hand was from gripping the handle so tightly, leaving imprints.

"Linda." I said with concern as I reached out for her hand but she jerked it away.

"Your breakfast is going to get cold." She said vaguely.

I sighed out of frustration running my hands through my hair. "I Don't have time for this, that attitude of yours is the last thing I need right now. I expect you to fix it." I say firmly.

feeling the tension in the from I don't bother arguing with her, so without another word I walked out the kitchen and towards the dining room now I wasn't even hungry anymore, I've lost my appetite.

Walking out the kitchen I could feel Linda's eyes shooting daggers at me from behind my back.

Just one night ago we were madly in love, making love as if there was no tomorrow, and now she won't even let me touch her.

I contemplate as I sit at the dining table wondering how I could possibly approach this situation, I don't even pick at my food until I realize that Linda might have seen something she wasn't supposed to see...

Quietly I get up from the chair and walk towards the hallway, it's so quiet I could hear a pin drop.

I then stop in the middle of the kitchen looking at my wrist watch. "Shit, I'm going to be late for work."

I decide not to bother with Linda right now, I curse under my breath, retrieving my briefcase and laptop from my office room before hurrying out the door.

****
I'm in a meeting with my board directors, they talked about their ideas of expanding the company while I tapping my foot on the floor anxiously messaging Linda. It was unusual for her not to answer my messages.

My face hardened, I gripped my phone so tight that I felt my knuckles began to crack, before looking up to meet everyone's eyes they stared at me with blank expression.