27

Word Count: 1675

~Onyx

I settle into my seat, facing my mother.

Her back is straight, that cold, methodical look on her face. She's like this when she is doing business, which is essentially what this is.

"Let's approach this from an angle devoid of any feelings, shall we?" Her voice is clipped as she adjusts the pages in front of her.

I rub my temples, wishing this headache would fuck off.

"Fine."

"Lexa."

"Not yet mature enough to rule beside me," I say honestly. We are too far into this process for me not to be smart about this.

This meeting is about deciding who is to be my wife. My mother and I have accepted love is not a factor in this, so whoever is going to be my wife is whoever is best suited for the job.

Mother slides the top paper off, turning it over.

"Willow."

"I haven't had much of a chance to get to know her yet," I admit, rubbing the back of my neck. I need more time with her.

"Alessandra."

I look down at my hands, my head pounding. Alex would be an easy choice for many reasons, but also the most difficult. Maybe her being here would keep Sienna around, but the guilt of being near the girl would kill me.

"Too interested in love and not being a Luna," I decide, wincing as mother turns her page over.

"Violet."

"Quiet, unassertive. Other Alpha's and Luna's would eat her alive."

I realise it's been mostly flaws with these women, but it's the truth. Being in such power requires rare qualities that aren't found in many.

Mother sighs, turning the pages back over. "Well then. Who has the most overwhelming benefits?"

My fingers tap against the table as I think.

"Lexa is out of the question. Her father is handing his business to his son shortly, which puts her position of power and wealth into question. It's not worth the risk," I announce.

"Fair enough," she muses. "Shall we send her home?"

I pause. Sending Lexa home would mean sending Kayn home. With him, goes Sienna. Letting her go is the right thing to do, but I'm holding on desperately at this point.

"Not until I've made my final decision."

Mother takes Lexa's profile and tears it clean down the middle. The sound makes me wince, so final in what it represents.

"It's a simple decision."

I press the heels of my palms against my eyes. I guess that means I need to move on.

"Alessandra would be a fair, good Luna," I say carefully. "But I will never love her like she deserves. Keeping her here will cause resentment and distrust, which won't allow us to present as the united front that we need to."

I lower my hands at the sound of mother tearing the page up, letting its remnants flutter back down to the table.

"Makes sense. She's out."

"Willow comes from a noble family, but from what I've noticed she is aloof. It's not enough to decide she's not an option, so I'll need time."

Reluctantly mother slides her profile to the side, although her eyes narrow slightly. I'm asking for time I no longer have.