48

Word Count: 2212

~Sienna

I can feel the note crumpled in my back pocket as I rush around the room.

For the first time since I developed a fear of storms, being in one is less terrifying than what else is going on around me.

Snagging my duffle bag from the closet, I unzip it, looking around my room with things to fill it with. Everything my eyes brush over reminds me too much of Onyx. Every hand-made dress he's lovingly complimented. Every jacket he's laid over my shoulder. Even my hairbrush reminds me of him, when he sat and brushed my hair tenderly after Kayn hit me.

I'm leaving forever, and I don't want memories of him chasing me along the way.

The door to my bedroom opens just as a crack of thunder rolls across the sky, so close overhead that the glass rattles in the window frame.

Alex peeks her head in, her light blonde hair shoved up into a messy bun.

"Hey." Her brows draw together. "I wanted to come check on you."

With Onyx gone, we've been spending a lot of time together. It breaks my heart leaving here when she just got this job, but I can't stay and risk Onyx's life...

"Why?" I ask, folding one of my favourite shirts up before shoving it into the bag.

"The storm. Onyx isn't here...I thought you might need some company." The door clicks closed as she glides into the room.

"I'm okay. My mind is on other things," I mumble, brushing past her as I head to my dresser.

Alex scans the room, her pale eyes glowing as lightening spills vivid light into the room for a split second.

"Wait..." She opens my bag, looking at the contents stuffed haphazardly inside. "What are you packing for?"

"I'm leaving."

She whirls around. "Where are you going? It's late."

With my back to her, I squeeze my eyes shut, my throat burning from holding back tears. I'm so jumped up on adrenaline I haven't broken down just yet, but I can tell it's coming.

I'm leaving behind the only man I've ever loved. I'm doing this to save him, and yet every inch of my heart is breaking.

"I need to get as far away from here as possible." I collect some more clothing, continuing to avoid anything that Onyx has ever complimented.

"Why?" Alex's voice breaks. "Did something happen?"

I pause, turning to her. Her expression is crumpled with sadness, with fear. Guilt ripples through me, but it's short lived. Whoever is writing these notes is dangerous, and knows about my connection to Zion. If they are wanting to punish me, there is a good chance they will target Alex.

Resting my hands on her shoulders, I shake her a little. "Stay here and make the most of your job. You deserve it."

"Sienna. Tell me what's going on," she begs as I shift past her again.

"Things from my past are catching up to me. I need to leave." I swipe up an extra pair of shoes, stuffing them into my bag along with a bundle of socks.

"What things?"

"Nothing I can tell you about," I say through gritted teeth.

This note has to be from Zion, or someone close to him. He's tormenting me, wanting it to be me that breaks the news to Onyx. That way the most amount of pain will be caused.

"Where are you going to go?" Alex asks, trying to step into my line of vision.

"Far. As far as possible." I sweep my hands through my hair. "I need to put packs between Onyx and I."