31

Word Count: 2060

~Onyx

I stare back at myself in the mirror, repulsed by what I see.

An unfamilar man, dressed in a tailored, pressed suit, not a strand of hair astray. Tired, empty eyes accented by dark shadows.

I'm a man with completely unkempt eyebrows.

Pulling open the vanity drawer I grab for the tweezers before focusing back on myself. I haven't done anything about them in months, and it's painfully obvious.

What would Sienna think?

I don't flinch once as I pluck away at any errant hairs. One by one they disappear until I'm left with a passable pair of brows. Not perfect, although Sienna never got them close to manicured.

Just enough to be ruggedly handsome, she would say.

My hand falls to my stomach as a jolt of pain cuts through my ribs. It's a familar ache at this point, but fuck it hurts.

"There's my handsome son."

I flinch, turning to see my mother strolling in. She's wearing a cream dress that would be offensive considering she's dressed for my wedding, however, she's made it clear today is more about her than my future wife.

"The ceremony doesn't start for another four hours. You don't need to keep checking up on me," I mutter.

It's not her fault, I just don't want to see her right now.

"I wanted to make sure you're not getting nervous." She adjusts the lapels of my jacket before flattening my tie down.

By making sure I'm not nervous, she means making sure I'm not backing out of this.

"You didn't need to make the ceremony so big. I doubt there is a single person on the planet not aware of this wedding," I mutter.

I can't help but wonder if Sienna knows. I haven't invited her. Since she hasn't responded to a single letter of mine, I figured she just wants to move on with a life that doesn't include me.

"This shall only happen once, Angel's willing." She pats the side of my face. "Don't look so grumpy."

"I'm not. I just want this to be over with."

Once this wedding is over, I can move on past this viciously intrusive hump in my life. It won't, however, be smooth sailing for long.

Everyone is expecting an heir.

"You have a beautiful bride, a proud mother and a Pack full of people waiting for an heir." She starts brushing at some lint she finds on the black fabric. "The consumation is the perfect time to get to it."

I blanch, physically rattled by that notion.

The thought of having sex tonight makes my stomach coil into a tight knot. The thought has been far to easy to banish, and now that I'm being confronted with it, I might be sick.

"Violet and I already agreed that we will not be consummating the wedding," I growl, brushing off mother's frantic fiddling.

"It doesn't matter if you do now, but I'm expecting an heir within a year. Start when you please, but know I'm waiting," mother notes, giving me a long, pointed look before she grazes past me.

I shove my hands into my pockets, bowing my head. "Yeah. Okay."

Mother looks around my room, no doubt looking for something to pick at. Had she not spent her entire life outside of my father's bed, she would tell me to join Violet's.