46

Word Count: 2427

~Onyx

I stare down at the face of a man who I've spent far too much time around these past few days.

"I don't understand why this is so hard," I growl.

He stands near the open front door, rain pouring down outside behind him. He has a hood over his head an exhausted look in his eyes. He can have a break when he completes his assignment.

"I assure you, Alpha, my team and I are trying out hardest," he stays, wincing as a crack of thunder booms behind him. "Unfortunately, there were no witnesses, no reports-"

I hold my hand up, sighing. "Yes, I know."

Here I am, dealing with this private investigator when I should be with Sienna. Even though it's late, she won't be asleep. She doesn't sleep on nights where it's storming.

"There has been little cooperation from other Alpha's. Alpha Zion and Alpha Imogen are being specifically conservative about the information they are sharing," he states, adjusting his rain speckled glasses.

I sigh roughly. Naturally.

"Of course they are. Zion probably sent an assassin," I mutter.

Ascertaining who attempted to kill Sienna has been my top priority since the meeting. No one so much as lays a finger on her without being held personally accountable by me.

It's why I've hired investigators. They will reveal who the assailant is, whose fate will then be in my hands.

"I'm recruiting more team members. We will find who did this," the man assures me. "We have been comparing her medical records to other victims in the area to determine whether this person has a motive."

"They aren't a serial killer. They were targeting Sienna because she is my friend," I growl. "Focus on political motive."

He bows his head. "Yes Sir."

"Thank you."

I close the door behind him, sealing out the vicious sound of rain hitting pavement. I can feel exhaustion tugging me toward the room, but I veer toward the kitchen, hoping Diane has something in the fridge that I can bring to Sienna to comfort her.

Instead, I find Sienna in there herself, drinking milk from a glass while she stares off into the shadows vacantly.

She startles as I walk in, noticing despite my silent footsteps in the darkness.

"Warm milk?" I ask her, nodding down to her glass. Considering her fingertips leave marks on the frosted surface, I already know the answer.

"No..." She drifts off.

She sounds tense, distracted. Considering the storm raging out the window and the rain lashing against the glass, I'm surprised she can focus on me at all.

"Bad girl," I scold with a soft laugh. "How are you doing with the storm?"

"I'm trying to be calm...I'm hoping the milk helps." She lifts the glass, her gaze still trained into the shadows.

A flash of lightening cuts across the sky, painting the dark grey clouds with light for a brief second before vanishing. The entire kitchen flickers with light, Sienna squeezing her eyes shut until it's gone.

"Just remember to breathe. I'm here if you want to go to the room and hide under the covers the rest of the night," I offer, leaning back against the counter.

"As tempting as that is, I'm trying to distract myself."

I nod. "That's a good idea too."

We stand for a moment in silence. Sienna stares off into the darkness, seized by fear. I'm waiting patiently for decide her method of comfort. Sometimes she doesn't want anyone touching her while she thinks through her fear, while other days she wants me to hold her.