34

Word Count: 2615

~Onyx

My steps are slow and purposeful as I stride past my mother's office.

Just as I suspected, her voice floats through the door, forcing me to stop with a rough sigh.

"Good morning son."

"Morning." I lean against the door frame, looking at sitting behind her desk that is stacked with files and paper. "I'm just heading out."

"Sit." She motions to the seat in front of the desk.

"Mother-"

"Let me speak to my son, please. You've been out of this house every day for the past few months and I miss you," she says, sounding vulnerable for the first time since I could remember.

I've been keeping my mind busy by concentrating solely on my work. It's been cathartic, although I don't think it's as effective as I would like.

"I've been busy." I sit anyway.

"Obsessive, you mean," she says disapprovingly. "I understand you're been very hands-on with this new law being drafted, but that doesn't mean you can skip out on talking with your mother."

I lean back in the seat, rubbing the heels of my palms into my eyes.

I can't remember the last time I got a good night's sleep. I close my eyes and all my obligations lay atop me like a suffocating blanket, constricting around me until I can hardly breathe.

People are waiting for an heir. It's gotten to the point where Violet and I are considering hiring someone else to do it.

"This needs to be perfect. This law is going to protect people migrating from Zion's Pack to mine," I exasperate.

"Settle. You haven't relaxed since the wedding," she says lowly, the concern unmissable in her tone.

I hold my hands up. "Fine. I'm relaxed."

"What is the matter with you?" Mother's voice hardens suddenly.

"Nothing," I mutter.

"Is it Violet?"

"No, she's fine."

Violet is the least of my worries. In fact, I actually value her friendship. We are going through similar circumstances, making her my closest confidant right now.

"You don't get home until very late. The poor girl never sees you," mother reminds me, narrowing her eyes.

I scoff. As if my mother didn't avoid my father every chance she got during their marriage.

"She doesn't mind, I assure you," I mutter.

Mother rubs her painted lips together, contemplating how best to scold me.

"I suppose you've heard the rumours then?"

I roll my eyes. "I don't give a fuck what people think about my relationship with Violet. They can speculate about me not being capable of making an heir, of me not loving my wife. None of it means anything."

"You know that's not true." Anger simmers in mother's eyes.

She's right, it does mean a lot. People need to have faith in me. If they believe I cannot produce an heir, they will start to look for a stronger Pack to settle in where they know they are safe.

"Is this about Sienna?"

My eyelids shutter. I'm tired of her name having such a hold on me, forcing such visceral reactions out of my body.