Digging Deeper

Bibi POV
That was how I befriended Fang. I had to admit, I was so charmed by him that I fell head over heels for him. But I pushed the feelings away, knowing that sometimes, crushes could ruin a friendship. And I didn't want to spoil what I had with Fang.

Though it's certainly easier to bury these feelings when I hear of him having a girlfriend—especially now that he's married to Janet. She was perfect for him.

Anyway, I returned to the present where Sandy had led me down to the private offices of the most secret investigators. "Here it is!" Sandy told me as he pointed at a gold plating on a door. When I looked closely, I realised that it was engraved with the name "R-T".

Sandy knocked on the door, pushing it open when R-T said, "Come in!"

"Ah, Sandy!" R-T said happily. "What can I do for you, old friend?"

"Hi, R-T! I need you to dig up as much info as you can on Selené Retroma," Sandy returned.

"Ok, sure!" R-T responded, typing furiously on his computer.

After what felt like a day(but was actually five minutes), R-T said, "Well, we don't have much records on her. Since she's from Retropolis, the Retropolian Police should have way more records than us. But we have some limited records on her."

I glanced at the computer. I read, "Selené Retroma. Born 17th July, 3782. Lives in Bordenõ, Retropolis's capital. Spouse: Bull Retroma. Child: Bibi Retroma. Job: Unknown. Notes: Selené Retroma disappeared on 23 years ago during a mysterious respawn breakdown. As the police have no trace of her, she is strongly believed to be dead."

"Wait a second," I said. "Bordenõ is not where I live. I don't live in the capital, I live at the border, Light City, two cities away from Bordenõ. So why is her address in Bordenõ?"

"Oh!" R-T smacked his head. Or, at least, his metal, since he was a camera of some sorts.

"What?" Sandy asked, beating me to the question.

"When Bibi's mom became a victim of crime, they must have relocated the family. Bibi, you were too young to remember, but your dad does. Where is he? He'll know where your old house was," R-T realised.

"Well...my dad left for military service 17 years ago and never came back," Bibi told him.

"Oh. I'm sorry," R-T mumbled, unable to hide his disappointment. But then his eyes set with steely determination. "Time to use the hacker!" he said silently.

"What do you mean?" I asked in confusion.

"Wait and see," was the only response R-T gave.

Whatever the "hacker" did, it somehow dug deep into my mom's record, and soon we had the address.

"47 Borñada Street," I whispered. "Her old address."

"You know what this means, don't you?" Sandy asked.

"That we need to search this house for clues," I answered.

<*~*>

We had been discussing for hours about the clues that we could find and the plans we should make. But just as we were about to leave, R-T called, "Wait!"

The robot rummaged through his drawer furiously, and then raised a shiny golden pin proudly. The pin sparkled in the light, reflecting rays everywhere across the room, glinting like the Moon in the night sky. A fancy "N" was engraved on it, shining so bright it almost blinded the three.

"What is that?" I asked in confusion.

"You will need it when you break into the police station."