chapter one

-Skylar-

"Ugh," I breathed a distress sigh, one I had been holding in since I first sat in my seat.

My eyes alter to the door, as a group of friends rush to leave. They disappear from view and from which my eyes move from the hallway to the clock that hung above the door.

Ten minutes was all I had left.

Ten minutes until I had my well deserved independence.

I began shuffling my feet under my desk, waiting for the teacher to stop babbling. However, my wishes weren't meet.

I ended up staring off into space, daydreaming about being out side, what I might be doing for summer. Soon, my fingers began to tap the desk and was in unison with the rhythm of my feet.

Ding, ding.

I fled the room, leaving my teacher behind as well as my fellow classmates.

I plowed through the crowd of people to my locker. With no struggle, I opened my locker and empty out the contents (which consisted of a couple books and tampons) into my small backpack. I slam the door shut and a sigh of relief rushed over me.

Thank god that's over. I lean forward and press my forehead against the lockers. This year was by far the worst year ever, with the sudden change of emotions and grades through out the span of 9 months.

One more year than I'm out of the god forsaken hole-of-a-place.

I swung my back pack around my shoulder as I stuff in both of my ear buds into my ears. Clicking my AC/DC playlist, I began to walk to the rhythm of the beat.

Many people stay behind as they gave their last minute hugs and 'goodbyes'. Some people waved at me and I responded with a smile. However, I was in no mood to make small talk, so my headphones continued to burst my eardrums.

Chad, my best friend since freshmen year, interrupted my music as he pulled out my ear buds.

"Are you kidding me?!" I complained as I struggled to grab my headphones that now dangled from my phone. "It was about to be the chorus!"

"Awe, poor baby. I'm sorry." He sarcastically said as he puffed out his lip and gave me puppy dog eyes.

"Oh, shut up." I chuckle and stick out my tongue. I put an ear bud into one of my ears, only giving her some of my attention. We continued to walk toward the exit, as did everyone else.

"Guess what!"

"What?"

"I got 5sos tickets." He said as he waited for some sort of reaction I was suppose to give.

Moments of silence occurred as we both gave each other confusing looks.

"You have to be kidding me? 5sos, 5 seconds of summer," he repeated the name like I would some how remember who they were.

I gave him another look showing him my uncertainty, he shockingly stared at me and started to ramble "5 Seconds of Summer was the opening act for One Direction on the Take Me Home North American tour. I mean Ashton is my favorite, he's the drummer, and he has a girlfriend. Im honestly so jealous. Ughh. But I'm telling you, these boys are sex. Their music is keeping me jamming and cake is for life. Blah, blah, blah, blah."

I blanked out, watching him mouth as it keep moving without a second of delay. I am surprised he can even talk this fast, but he still managed to ramble on and on about this band.

"Yeah, I get it, Chad." I said to make him shut up, "I'll go to the concert, I mean it seems like fun."

He pulled me in a tight hug, I tensed up as he began to jump up and down. "Oh my god YAS. Okay so I'll pick you up on the 25th at 7." He walked off, leaving me paralyzed with confusion.

....Morning of June 25th.....

'From Chad:
Hey remember. Imma pick u up at 7. C u then!'

Setting my phone back down, I took a leap and flopped myself onto my bed. My body began to spread out and I yawned once more before checking the time.

I flinched as the door was thrown open and the hinges wobbled. "Sylar!" My mom yelled over my music that was heavily playing. I quickly paused the song and the sound began to dissipate. I hummed a yes in response to her walking into my room.

"Hey we gotta go. We're going to be late for your brother's game!" She announced as she left the bathroom and began walking downstairs.

"Ughh.." I sigh as I stare at my makeupless face through the mirror on the other side of the wall.

....................

I stepped out of my jeep and walked toward the benches that were placed behind the baseball field.

My mom and I took a sit and casually waved at my brother as he went up to bat. His bat was almost as big as he was, and his helmet seemed two sizes too big.

"Hey." A woman, who appeared to be way too happy, approached me and slightly touched my shoulder.

She seemed like a soccer mom, besides the fact that she was a little too old for it.

I flinched as her hand pressed against my back and she sat down beside me. "Oh.. Uh.. Hi."

"What's your name, sweetheart?" Her eyes were opened almost to the point were they bulged out and a forced grimise formed across her face, showing her straight but yellow tinted teeth.

"Skylar."

She looked up and gave me another gut wrenching smirk. "Do you have a sibling here, dear."

I nodded, and gave her the best fake smile I could. Little kid nicknames just tick me off, people act like I'm 12 when clearly I can handle myself.

The woman continued to make small talk with me for 50 minutes straight until the game was finally over.

....................

Thank god. I thought to myself, rubbing my ass as I walked into the house. I sat on a hard, metal bench for a hour as we watched a bunch of 9 year olds act like they were playing baseball.

"Great job, buddy." I say and he runs to give my a tight hug. I cringe as I feel is sweat dripping on my arm. But I shouldn't be complaining, I was pretty sweaty too. Florida's weather isn't exactly cool.

"Great, I have to take another shower." I roll my eyes.

"Its not like your doing anything." My mother says as she walks into the refrigerator and grabs a cheese stick. I follow her and sit down at a same table near the island of the kitchen.

"I have the concert, remember?"

"Oh yeah, with Chad right? I thought you didn't even like these 5 seconds to summer."

"5 seconds of summer," I put the emphasis on the 'of' as I correct her. Chad always gets pissed when I mispronounce their name, "and yeah I don't really like them, but its still going to be fun."

"Okay, whatever, honey. Just be safe, don't do any drugs. I don't want you to get drunk either. Oh and stay away from men, you are a beautiful young lady and someone is going to end up raping you, if you're not watching out."

"MOM! Chase is over there." I point my brother who is on the couch watching some dino kid show.

As she finishes her string cheese stick, she leans into my ear, "just wear a condom if you meet any cute boys."

I push her away, "gross mom. I'm 17!"

"Well I was 17 once and crazy stuff happened back then." She smiles as she has some epiphany from her high school years. In disgust, I turn around and walk up stairs, while I try not to think what my mother did when she was younger.