chapter four - survival

"Condor one to Roost. What's the report on that chopper?" he asks sternly into his radio.

"Bad news, Condor one. We can't send a chopper down due to the weather. Can you wait until it clears?" The woman says.

"Negative. It's too dangerous," he replies.

"There should be a haven a couple of miles ahead. Other than that, there is nothing much else I can do."

"Don't worry about it. We'll swim home if we have to. Condor one out." he remarks. You know he's trying to make a point, but you don't like the idea of swimming home.

You both start to jog through the muddy path, and your legs are burning like crazy, but you know you must keep moving. You look down at your muddy boots and wet clothing and realize Leon is ahead of you.

"Do you mind if we walk for a bit?" you grimace as he returns to you. The pain you're feeling is showing through your voice and body.

"Of course, but we can't stop." he sympathizes but remains stern, showing no sign of exhaustion whatsoever. So, you both begin to walk as the rain quiets down.

"I'm jealous. I wish I had your stamina." you compliment, trying to make conversation.

"I wouldn't be. It took me a long time and lots of training," Leon explains blankly.

That explains it...

"So...you've done missions like this before, then?" you ask innocently. You wanted to know more about him. The skill that took him to this point is like no average agent you've seen. There was no doubt in your mind that he had fought infected before.

He sighs and fiddles with his gun in his right hand. Now he realizes why your father warned him. She is clever.

"I have," he confirms and ends it there. But you push it further.

"You've fought infected?"

His brows scrunched like he was reliving something in his head. Thus, he leaves the question unanswered.

"I'm sorry. I understand if you-." you begin to apologize. You got the feeling that Leon probably doesn't want to talk about it. Yet, he stops you by putting a finger up to his mouth. Once again, signaling for you to be quiet.

Before getting offended, you listen and soon realize why he stopped you. You could hear the infected begin to mumble their slurred phrases.

Leon notices a shack at the edge of a path, and without hesitation, he takes you by the hand.

With his back against the wall, he turns and snipes the gernados in the head with the rifle on his back.

"Alright," he says proudly and peered back at you.
"Get ready." He alerts, and you both run into the village while Leon reloads his weapons.

You're right behind him, feeling this will be worse than the last—bigger village...bigger threats.

Ganados start to swarm all around, and you have no choice but to take your knife out from your jacket. You might not be the best at knife combat, but you know to stab them with the pointy end.

Leon, however, is more than qualified. You both get pretty far in the village going around all the damage. "We just need to get to the other side!" He shouts over the commotion and shoots another ganado with his shotgun. You notice across the way, there's a gate. You scan the terrain, and even more ganados swarm in. It's going to take a lot of work to get through. They are everywhere! Even on rooftops shooting fire arrows. "On me!" Leon exclaims, taking notice and guides you into a two-story house. To not get cornered, he needed a quick escape before things got out of hand.