chapter thirteen - cure

Abruptly, as your hands reach your abdomen, they shake in place. The knife is inches away. Your veins turn black as you resist. Now, your actions weren't your own.

I'm too late...we've lost. The world is done for...because of my lack of diligence.

"My child...why do you resist?" Saddler questions, tilting his head as he makes you drop the knife and walk to him. With the remaining strength you had left, you try to fight back. Yet, all you could do was cry.

"What...do you want?" You stammer as tears stream down your face.

"Poor child...I simply wish to share this gift with as many people as possible." Saddler replies as you finally reach him.

"Saddler, you bastard!" Leon grunts, seeing your distressed body fight against him.

"You are strong...child. Yet, I am beyond strength." Saddler says to him. "The world will cleansed once again..." he murmurs, running his vile hands against your cheek, further tormenting Leon.

"Get your hands off her!" Leon growls while he continues to battle against the plagas.

Saddler's face hardens and trembles with anger.

"Submit, you foul mutt!" He yells, causing Leon to cry in pain. "Repent for your sins!" Saddler gets closer to Leon now.

With every inch of your body, you wished that you could scream for him to stop. To escape from Saddlers, bind and slit his throat yourself. But you couldn't. The control of Saddler sealed your lips.

"Who are you calling a mutt." Leon hisses, takes a grenade from his belt, and yanks the tab off with his mouth. Then, tossing it a couple of feet away from himself towards Saddler. It manages to roll at Saddler's feet and explode within seconds. The sound explosion makes you drop to your knees as Saddler is finally distracted. The cloud of smoke and gunpowder fills the room, leaving you blind. Your ears are ringing while your head spirals. When suddenly, Leon's toughened face appears in the smoke. The numbness you felt is gone, but time is ticking. Leon picks you up and carries you out of the room before the smoke clears.

"Are you hurt?" He asks as he puts you down.

"I'm okay." You answer, not keeping your eyes away from him.

"Good." He replies, relieved, and guides you by the waist again outside the building.

You have no clue where you're going, but you both make it back outside. Leon takes his binoculars and examines the area. "Their defenses are no joke. But that's gotta be their sanctuary." He answers and lowers his binoculars. "We're almost there." Leon tilts his head slightly towards you. The veins around his face and neck were visibly getting worse. The medicine wasn't lasting.

We need to hurry.

"With me," Leon says and marches forward with you close. He shifts to offer his hand from behind, but as you reach for it.... you're frozen. Your hand trembles as you try against this invisible force again, preventing you from grabbing his hand. Leon soon realizes you're not there with him, so he quickly turns around and rushes towards you with an outstretched hand.

"You foul renegade."

The numbing pain rises once again as you notice Saddler's foul body standing directly above you both on the roof of the building.

"Saddler...you...son of a...bitch." Leon hisses as you both try to reach for each other.

"Why do you reject serenity?" Saddler questions, and you both drop to your knees. "When you need only accept the sacred gift." Now, towering mutants come to surround you both once more. "Like...she...did." With your arm still outstretched, the pain crawls beneath your skin like an infectious worm. The bone-breaking pains move in a wave, and it consumes you whole. A painful cry experts out of your mouth, and you collapse.