chapter fourteen - the battle

As you propped your head on the table with your arms where Leon's body lays....you waited. You patiently waited for him to become conscious while you listened to the sounds of his steady breath. He sounded at peace, like the stillness before a thunderstorm. At this moment, the world was still. Nothing was going through your mind that resembled anything of the plagas anymore. No Saddler, no infected, no flashbacks, no thundering pain. It was quiet.

....

"Y/n?....y/n!" Leon gasps, and you snap your head up towards him. His vision slowly adjusts as he frantically looks for you.

"I'm right here." you coo and tower over him to place a hand on his. "I'm here...." his face finally relaxes, and he lets a breath, relieving the built-up strain. His body was now clear of all infection. His face was like the first time you met him. Bright and full of life. Both of your health were back to normal again.

"You are okay," he confirms and reaches for your face. He smiles when he notices that the virus isn't in you either. You let out a chuckle of excitement to see his bright blue eyes again look into yours with hope. He looks at his hand that holds your face and slowly turns it. "You did this?" Leon questions and lifts himself slowly.

"I did," you say sincerely, and his lips curl into a smirk.

"Well, this is not the most uncomfortable place I've slept in," he comments and stands up but nearly catches himself as his knees buckle beneath him.

What was that supposed to mean?

"You should rest," you tell him and grab onto his massive arm to support him.

"Look at you coming to the rescue." he snickers but grunts as he stands up. You couldn't help yourself but blush at his statement.

"Shut up," you say playfully, rolling your eyes, and with your help, he gets his barrings.

Finally, as he's stable, you quickly wrap your arms around his neck. "I thought you were going to die. I thought I was too late.." you stammer, and you feel his strong arms slowly wrap around your waist, pulling you closer.

"It's over now. We don't have to worry about Saddler anymore," he says gently in your ear, and you hug him tighter. You both stand there for a moment before Leon starts to squirm. "Okay, we can do more hugging later when we leave here."

You chuckle shyly and glance up at him. "You're probably right," you say, and his smile widens while he gently cups your face with his mitt-gloved hand.

Something makes him look behind you, and his brows furrow. "Is that a map?" He says, nudging his head forward.

You walk over and look to see a layout of the building with red markings pinned on the wall. You yank it and examine it. "It is..." you say and turn back to Leon. "It says we can go through...a back way...."

"I guess we have Luis to thank for that." He says weakly.

You're eyes grow heavy as you look around the laboratory.  "So...all of this...was Luis?" You question and begin to search around the place. You notice a med spray sitting next to surgical gloves and utensils. You grab a scalpel, attach it to your leg strap, and put the med spray in your pocket.

"We're alive...thanks to him," Leon admits and follows your lead.

Continuing your search through the room, you spot a messy arrangement of papers scattered across a desk.

"Holy shit! This is him," you say and grab a photograph of Luis and many others with lab coats.

He was a scientist...