chapter twelve - sacrifice

"More than you know."

....

This...soft...vulnerable...feeling Leon felt in his chest
was something he couldn't believe was real.
Couldn't fathom this feeling of helpless desire...
could be achieved again ever since that fatal day.
until now..

But Leon was right about one thing. His sole purpose was to bring you home in one piece. Yet, you couldn't help but think what would happen when this was all over.

I can't be worrying about that right now. The priority is to get out of this place and to the laboratory.

Treading carefully, Leon grabs his radio and dials a number.

"Ada, come in! I had a crazy hunch you would know where a laboratory would be located." Leon asks into the inner com with a snarky tone.

With hesitation, the woman answers. "I would look in their sanctuary at the top of the mountain. That's where their most important facilities are located."

Her voice didn't sound familiar to you. It wasn't the women earlier in the village. The way she answered seemed out of annoyance with a seductive tone.

"Ada the encyclopedia." Leon scoffs and shakes his head.

There's a pause. "Happy to help.....now you owe me," she says, then hangs up.

You owe me? Who is she!?

"Who was that?" you try to ask casually but can't help but feel slightly jealous.

She isn't part of his team...why else would the conversation go that way?

"Just an old acquaintance. No one of concern...for right now," he says as he puts away his radio. "Now, to find that mountain."

You both begin to jog out of the building and venture into the dark and rainy terrain.

This time, the infected come better equipped, holding long baton stun guns, non-penetrable armor, and dynamite.

"Hold on," he tells you unalarmed and holds you back against the wall of another building calmly. A second later, rounds of bullets come flying in your direction.

"They have a fucking machine gun!?" you shriek as the bullets continue to fly. Leon waits patiently with his rifle in his arms. This time, it isn't the one you remember him using before. Once the bullets pause for a moment, he peers over the wall and shoots the soldier straight on. The path is clear, so you both take the opportunity and sprint across the field. Once again, the infected soldiers burst out of the shadows, and Leon quickly shoots them. Leaving a trail of them as you both move forward.

Maybe I can use this...

You quickly grab one of the stun guns dropped from one of the ganados and carry it.

You both soon enter a concrete block building, where Leon reloads his guns with newly found ammo. Through the makes-shift windows, you look carefully up ahead.

"Leon!" you shout and wave for him to come to you. "There's a lift that goes up that mountain." With his binoculars, he looks to where you're pointing. From the looks of it, it seemed empty. "I bet that's where the sanctuary is," you add, but suddenly, you hear the manipulated soldiers yell something, and Leon's eyes widen.

"Get down!" he shouts, and with his hand, he shoves you down to the dirt floor. Abruptly, a vast explosion hits directly behind you, and the room bursts into flames. You swore you didn't see anybody. From the direction of the fire and explosion, there is only one explanation. "Christ..."