8. Friday night (Just Sleep)

Frank slogged up the steps to his apartment, retrieving his key from his jeans pocket. It had been another lousy day at work. Friday afternoons were the worst; they were busier, plus the biweekly load had arrived. Frank had spent his afternoon throwing around boxes that were much too heavy for him and restocking the shelves. On top of all that, he had to act as the closing senior, too. The juniors at Walmart were hopeless, and Frank had to boss them around all night in order to get them to help him clean up the place. He hoped that Brian wouldn't give him another 3 till 11:15 shift for a very long time.

Frank wrenched open his heavy apartment door, flicking on the kitchen light. Something felt... off. His eyes darted about warily as he shut the door behind him. Frank glanced over at the couch; his guitar was nowhere to be seen. Fuck. He sped down the short hallway to his room, hoping he'd left it on his bed from when he'd been strumming earlier. Gone. Had he been robbed? It took Frank a moment to register that his clothes were also missing from where he'd left them on the floor days ago.

Fuck.

Had Brad come in and moved him out already? He still has two more full days here before the landlord would come to collect his keys. So what had happened? Frank felt his stomach churn as he staggered through his apartment. Everything was bare; it was like he'd never even lived there. Frank was spiralling; was he dreaming? He couldn't be. He hastily made his way back to the kitchen, hoping to find a phone that he could call Brad on.

"Fucking son of a bitch," Frank growled as he turned the corner. He stomped his feet childishly, staring at the floor as it changed from carpet to tiles to... black boots? He looked up.

Gerard was standing in his kitchen.

Frank's breath hitched in his throat. He stumbled backwards against the counter, arms fumbling for something to defend himself with.

"Who- Why... You!" He spluttered. Gerard simply shushed him.

"Relax, Frank. I'm not going to hurt you."

Frank's mind was racing. He thought of his missing belongings; had Gerard been stalking him? Had the guy followed Frank back here after that night in the woods? Gerard took a step closer and Frank scrambled back onto his feet, standing tall.

"What the fuck did you do with my things?"

Gerard hesitated. His hands wavered cautiously in front of him, as if trying to mediate between himself and the boy. He swallowed thickly.

"Frank, I just want to help you."

"Fucking help me how? By taking all my stuff from me right as I'm about to get kicked out?" Frank was grasping at straws here, his mind clouded by his confusion and rage. He was ready to fight Gerard; he didn't care if this guy was a psycho or a vampire or whatever he was. Gerard stepped closer to Frank, his eyes boring into the man's soul. Frank paused, his arms falling ever so slightly. The vampire's eyes seemed to have a hypnotic effect on him.

"Listen, man, I don't know what your problem is but I-"

Gerard firmly planted his hands on Frank's shoulders. Frank felt dizzy and weak; he gulped nervously as Gerard leaned in. The vampire hovered above Frank's neck, his cold breath tickling his ear. Frank shivered, trying to squirm out of his grip.

"Just sleep," Gerard whispered.

Frank felt his eyelids grow heavy, a strange lethargy settling over him. It was as if Gerard's words had cast a spell, urging him into a deep slumber. The world around Frank blurred, and the edges of his consciousness began to fade. As Gerard continued to murmur softly, the room seemed to spin. The air grew colder, and Frank's struggles weakened. He could feel the vampire's fangs grazing his neck, the anticipation sending shivers down his spine. A strange mix of fear and surrender consumed him. In the final moments before succumbing to unconsciousness, Frank's thoughts raced. He fought against the encroaching darkness, desperately trying to hold onto his fading awareness. But Gerard's hypnotic command echoed in his mind, drowning out any resistance. With a final, feeble attempt to resist, Frank's body slumped, and his eyes closed. The world disappeared into blackness as Gerard, satisfied, withdrew, leaving Frank suspended in the realm between wakefulness and sleep. The room fell silent, save for the subtle sounds of Frank's soft breaths, now synchronised with the rhythmic beating of his heart.

Gerard exhaled a hefty sigh and he coasted down the freeway. Frank was asleep in the passenger seat, his head resting gently against the window. Gerard's original plan hadn't been to render the boy unconscious; he'd wanted to talk to him. But Frank had gotten defensive, and Gerard... Well, Gerard got nervous. He lazily flicked his indicator on, turning onto the gravel driveway that led the way to his home. Frank's belongings were already inside; Gerard had given his clothes and other miscellaneous items a home in the spare bedroom.

Gerard, after double-checking the handbrake, gingerly cracked his door open and made his way around to Frank's side of the car. He knew the boy wouldn't wake, but he still felt this overwhelming need to be gentle. He leaned across and slowly unbuckled Frank's seatbelt, scooping him up in his arms and carrying him inside. He laid him down on the spare bed - Frank's bed - and eased him out of his shoes. Gerard bent down to plant a kiss on Frank's temple as he tucked him in, feeling that familiar pang in his stomach that he often got when he smelled someone delectable. He had fed once since his first encounter with Frank, but they had only been a stranger in an alleyway. His earlier victim's scent paled in comparison to the man who lay before him. Gerard decided he ought not to feed from Frank for at least a few more days. Frank should receive some time to get accustomed to his new home. Gerard silently wondered how he was going to get Frank to trust him; what must he do to convince the boy that he'd like it here?

Tomorrow, Gerard told himself. He would explain everything tomorrow, and Frank would understand.