26. Savour this Healing Heart

Frank woke up in an empty bed, darkness enveloping him bar the sliver of moonlight that filtered in through the crack in the curtains. He silently wondered where Gerard was, the mattress beside him missing the extra, solid weight of the vampire's body. Frank considered getting out of bed to look for him, but he was just too comfy. He nestled back into the pillow, about to fall asleep again when the familiar hum of the heater vanished with a click. Frank heard the floorboards creak and felt the mattress beside him sink, giving way to a cold, heavy body. He rolled over to face Gerard. Why did you turn off the heater, he wanted to ask, but no words came out.

Two rough, cold hands reached out to grab his shoulders. Frank strained his eyes in the darkness; whoever this vampire was, he wasn't Gerard. He tried wriggling out of the vampire's grip, but he couldn't move a muscle. Frank opened his mouth to call out, his breath deciding to hitch in his throat instead. The vampire dug his nails - claws, more like it, into Frank's sides, and Frank winced, feeling hot blood trickle out of the crescent-shaped wounds. He wanted to yell, but no sound would come out. Every nerve screamed in protest, a silent symphony of torment that threatened to consume him whole. Desperation clawed at Frank's soul as he fought against the invisible chains that bound him, each struggle only tightening their grip.

Frank woke with a start, feeling cold arms wrap around him. He swatted haphazardly at his apparent attacker, his chest still heaving with ragged breaths as he struggled to shake the lingering panic of his nightmare.

"Frank, it's me," Gerard's soothing voice reminded him. "I'm here, it's okay."

Frank instantly relaxed into the vampire's touch. He was in their shared room, the heater still blasting in the corner and Gerard there to comfort him. Frank sighed shakily, turning to face Gerard.

"Bad dream," he explained, though he was sure that the vampire could guess that much.

"Mm," Gerard hummed sympathetically, stroking Frank's back. "What about?"

"I woke up in here alone, and some other vampire started attacking me," Frank said hoarsely. "It was dark."

"Aw," Gerard said plainly. He kissed the top of Frank's hair, patting his back gently. "It's okay now; I'm the only one here."

"Mm," Frank mumbled. He peered into Gerard's eyes through the murky dimness. "What time is it?"

"Six o'clock," Gerard said. "It's Christmas Eve, Frankie!"

"Yay," Frank muttered, his voice sounding a little croaky from having just woken up from a nightmare. He yawned and stretched slightly. "Too early to get up," he groaned. He nuzzled into Gerard's chest, pulling the covers back up to his neck.

"Go back to sleep, then," Gerard whispered. He kissed Frank's temple, letting him doze off again.

Frank woke up with the sunrise and, after saying a quick, second good morning to Gerard, slipped into the shower. He made it a long one to extend his time under the warm water. Frank eventually forced himself to finish up,  large cloud of steam billowing behind him as he stepped out of the shower and onto the soft bath mat. He patted his fresh tattoo dry with a paper towel before applying ointment, wrapping his towel around his waist and padding over to the bedroom.

"It's fucking freezing," Frank whined. "I hate getting out of the shower in winter."

"One time Mikey brought an electric heater into the shower with him," Gerard recalled, chuckling to himself. "Can't believe he didn't get himself killed."

Frank scoffed, shaking his head in disbelief. He huddled by the heater, carding a hand through his damp hair.

"Can you get some clothes for me?" He asked sweetly, not wanting to leave his position.