31. Thank You for the Venom

Frank felt like a piece of string.

He was shrouded in murky darkness, feeling his body being coiled around a structure then unravelled, jerked upwards then pulled taught. He sweated and strained his face, grimacing against the pain as his insides turned outwards. Opening his eyes was a struggle - everything was too bright, so he kept them shut. His blood was boiling, but when he clumsily ran his hands up and down his arms, he felt chilly. He must have a fever.

Frank felt a cool hand press against his forehead and was reminded of back when he was a kid and his mom used to check his temperature. The hand disappeared and Frank licked his chapped lips. He was thirsty; he'd have to ask her to get him a drink of water when she returned.

As if on cue, the hands returned to his forehead - tender, not rushed. Frank furrowed his brow; these hands weren't in any hurry to get to work. He was starting to warm up to them now; they felt firm, yet soothing - flesh as hard as stone and skin as soft as velvet.

"Nng," Frank groaned, his eyebrows meeting in the middle of his forehead. He blinked blearily, his eyes coming into focus. Gerard hovered above him, a worried grimace on his face.

Woah.

Frank blinked again, nearly doing a double take at the sheer clarity of his vision. His eyes trailed over Gerard's pale face, spotting freckles and lines that he'd never noticed before. Gerard's hazel eyes seemed more vibrant, the few, fine eyebrow hairs on the bridge of his nose more prominent. Frank felt like a glasses-wearer who'd just gotten Lasik, a blind person who's just been granted the gift of sight.

"Gerard," he said, his voice husky and hoarse.

"Easy, Frank," his partner whispered, rubbing a soothing hand over Frank's shoulder. His hands felt... room temperature?

"You're warm," Frank noted. "Warmer, at least."

Gerard smiled softly, nodding sympathetically. Frank propped himself up on his elbows, pausing as the events of Christmas night came flooding back to him. Oh.

Oh.

"Gerard," Frank began, his breath quickening. He glanced down at his body, holding his hands out in front of his eyes, turning them over to see if he looked as different as he felt.

"Frank," Gerard said hesitantly. "You were dying."

Frank looked up at Gerard's soft features, a strange warmth blooming behind his eyes. He felt as if he were on the brink of tears, but no moisture was forming. A ragged breath filled his lungs, and he shakily pushed it out.

"I'm like you now, aren't I?" He said softly. Gerard nodded.

Frank got up, swinging his legs off the edge of the couch so he could sit properly. He reached his arms out to Gerard, pulling the other vampire onto his lap. He planted a firm kiss against Gerard's neck.

"You saved my life," he whispered. "And now neither of us will have to be alone."

Gerard didn't even realise that he'd been holding his breath until those words made their way out of Frank's mouth. He sputtered breathily - a sound halfway between a chuckle and a sob, and buried his face in Frank's chest.

"Oh, Frankie," he said, his voice tinged with sweet regret. "I still feel guilty, you didn't have a say in the matter."

"I didn't have a choice," Frank reiterated. "I was dying. You saved me."

Gerard nodded, still clinging to Frank's neck. He pressed his head against Frank's chest, noting the absence of a heartbeat. He wondered if Frank was just in shock right now, if he was bound to have a moment of regret later down the track. Frank was now frozen, just like him. Ever since Mikey's death, Gerard had always been of the mindset that he wouldn't wish immortality upon anyone.