27. Perfect for One Last Night

Gerard's hazel eyes silently swept over Frank's sleeping frame, following the curve of his body under the mound of blankets. Pale sunlight crept in through the crack in the curtains; Frank was sleeping in this morning. As creepy as it sounded, Gerard loved watching the boy sleep, mildly jealous of Frank's naturally human gift. Sleep was one of the things that Gerard didn't miss too much about being a human but, sometimes, he wished he could just shut out the world for a few hours. He hadn't felt that way since meeting Frank, however.

Gerard eyed the alarm clock on the bedside table, watching the digits tick over from 7:59 to 8:00 AM. He sighed softly, eager for Frank to wake up so they could exchange presents. He rolled over in bed, gently getting on top of Frank. Gerard didn't put any weight on him, simply pressing his hands and feet into the mattress on either side of the man, hovering over his body.

"Frankieeee," Gerard said quietly. He bounced on the bed slightly, rocking Frank on the mattress. Frank stirred in his sleep but didn't make a sound. "It's Christmas!" Gerard whispered excitedly. Frank mumbled a soft groan, rolling over in his sleep.

"Gerard," Frank slurred, squinting as he looked up. It took him a moment to realise that Gerard was on top of him. "Jesus!"

Gerard burst into a peal of giggles, rolling onto the other side of the bed while the other man calmed down.

"Not funny," Frank grumbled in mock annoyance, though a smile tugged at the corner of his lips.

"Merry Christmas!" Gerard said with a grin, giving Frank a peck on the cheek.

"Merry Christmas, Gerard," Frank replied. Satisfied, Gerard shot out of bed and wrapped his hands around Frank's wrists, pulling him up. Frank groaned in protest, still groggy and cosy under the covers, but he let Gerard drag him out of bed.

"Come on, presents!" Gerard whined like an excited child. Frank smiled, shaking his head as he pulled on the vampire's UGG boots and an extra hoodie. He used the bathroom while Gerard bounded downstairs to the living room, getting the fireplace set up.

Frank met Gerard at the foot of the stairs, planting a firm kiss on the vampire's lips.

"Presents," he agreed, picking up on Gerard's urgency. Together, they made their way to the lounge, and Frank retrieved the small box containing Gerard's gift from under the tree. "It's nothing special," he said sheepishly, handing it to Gerard.

"Anything's special if it's from you," Gerard said gently, tugging on the bow to unwrap it. He slipped a nail under the sticky tape, meticulously peeling it off so as not to tear it. His face lit up when he opened the box containing the belt. "No fucking way," he smirked, unwinding the strip of leather and admiring the bat-shaped buckle. "I fuckin' love this."

"You really do?" Frank asked hopefully.

"Fuckin' totally!" Gerard said. He twisted the belt around his hand. "This is just what I needed, and the bat's really cool. Thanks, Frankie." He stepped forwards to wrap an arm around Frank's shoulder, kissing the top of his head. "It's perfect. I love you."

"I love you, too," Frank said with a soft smile, turning his head to kiss Gerard's lips. The vampire broke away first, his cold breath tickling Frank's nose.

"It's your turn now!"

The pair took a seat on the floor, dragging out the long, flat boxes that rested beneath the tree. Frank eyed Gerard cautiously as he began unwrapping the first present.

"I'm scared," he whined jokingly. He knew Gerard's present would definitely surpass his in value, but he forced himself to not feel embarrassed as he tore the gold paper, unveiling a... toy?