𝖈𝖍𝖆𝖕𝖙𝖊𝖗 03

“No, Y/N, listen to me: he bothers you again, you go straight to the police.” It’s been almost a week since the infamous day at Cocoa and Pastries, and I’m starting to regret telling my friends about it: they won’t drop the subject, no matter how kindly I ask them.

“Nah, they won’t do anything” Solar says, walking fast despite her eyes being glued to the screen of her phone. “You could stab him.”

“She can’t just go around stabbing people” Pilly points out.
“Going to the police is the right thing to do, we all know it.”

“Okay, alright, no stabbing.” Solar locks her phone and lets it slip in the back pocket of her baggy jeans. “What about a little blackmailing? A letter here, a message there…” In her eyes gleams a mischievous sparkle when she looks at me.
“I bet he would stop harassing you.”

Pilly hits her pointy shoulder, stepping between us. “Absolutely not! Still illegal! Y/N, please,” she insists, turning her head to face me,
“don’t even think about it. It wouldn’t end well.”

“I think it would.” Solar leans forward, glancing at me from behind Pilly’s big, frizzy curls. “Let me know if you want to arrange something.”

“Listen, you can’t possibly be—” Pilly is unable to finish her sentence: in a matter of seconds, Solar grabs her by the collar and forces her to bend down, their lips meeting in a kiss.
“Not… Not fair” Pilly mumbles, her mouth still on Solar’s.
“Shame on you.”

“What, I can’t even kiss my beautiful girlfriend now?”My phone starts buzzing at the right moment: I love my friends and I love how much they’re into each other, but the second they start being all lovey-dovey, I automatically become the third wheel. No, thanks.

The caller ID is unknown, but I answer nonetheless: anything to avoid my friends’ cheesiness.

“Hello?”

Good evening” a posed, female voice says. “Is this Miss Kang?”

“It is. Who am I talking to?”

It’s Lisa Binn” she answers drily. “We met at Health Bloodlife Clinic last week. Do you remember?”

“Oh, uhm…” I step backwards, clearing the path for a group walking toward the exit gates of Lehman University. “The lady at the front desk?”

Correct. I’m sorry to bother you, Miss Kang, but…
She hesitates for a second, long enough for me to assume the worst: is she trying to tell me I have a rare blood disease? That they can’t sell my blood, so I need to give the money back? Well, good luck with that: those five hundred dollars are already in my landlord’s pocket, barely covering last month’s rent.

There’s been a situation” she sighs, a conflicted tone to her voice. “We need you to come here as soon as possible.”

I stay quiet for a while, heart pounding in my chest. What kind of situation is she talking about? Is it the blood disease? Is it something far, far worse?

Miss Kang, are you still with me?” she pushes.

I force myself to take a deep breath and nod, realizing too late she can’t see me. “Yes, I… I’m sorry, could you be more specific? What kind…” I inhale again, my eyes closed shut. “Am I sick?”

Oh, dear! No, absolutely not, you’re fine.” A long sigh fills my phone. “I could have worded it in a different way, I apologize. You’re neither sick nor in trouble.

I almost fall on my knees from relief. “Why are you calling, then?” I ask, my voice still a bit unsteady.

There’s a moment of silence, before the lady speaks again.
It would be easier to explain it to you in person, I believe.

It seems weird, but I can’t help being curious, and that’s why I ask her when we can meet.

“Well… how quickly can you be here?”

___________________