𝖈𝖍𝖆𝖕𝖙𝖊𝖗 16

Sorry, guys, I can’t. I’m busy tonight.”

“Doing what?” Pilly asks, her voice crackling from the other end of the phone.

“Doing who?” is Solar’s contribution, a muffled voice I barely recognize. “Is it that sexy vampire who’s paying to drink your blood?”

I feel my cheeks grow warmer, and I’m glad this is not a videocall,because I know for a fact I’m blushing. Nothing would scream ‘guilty’ like that.

“No” I sigh, playing with my car keys on my lap. “We don’t… it’s not that.”

I glance at the backdoor to the club, barely visible in the semidarkness of the parking lot. The streetlamps placed along the road behind me don’t help at all. “I have to work.”

I can almost feel Pilly’s judgmental stare on me. “At the club he owns?”

“It’s not like it was intentional” I mumble, unbuckling my seatbelt. “And it’s not like he’s planning my murder, P. Can you relax a bit? It’s fine.”

“Not really” she replies, a hint of resentment in her voice. “It’s the third time in a row you cancel on us.”

I open my mouth, and then slowly close it again when I realize she’s right. A few days ago, we were supposed to meet and work on a group project for our Ethics class. I had to reschedule because I was too exhausted from working the night shift, and then yesterday I had to reschedule again because I was so tired after spending the night at Jungkook’s, and now…

I can’t believe I’ve acted this way with my only friends, the ones always willing to help and support me. What kind of person am I?

“I’m so sorry” I say, shaking my head. “I’m a… I’ve been a shitty friend, haven’t I?”

“Amen to that” Solar’s muffled voice replies. “We still love you though.”

Pilly’s sigh is loud and clear. “It’s not that you’ve been shitty,
Y/N. We know you have a lot going on. We’re worried.”

“Yeah, no, she’s been shitty. Canceling for three times in a row is definitely shitty behavior, if you ask me.”

I bite my tongue, pushing back the tears collecting at the corner of my eyes. “Solar’s right. I fucked up and I’m so sorry, guys. It’s been…” I shake my head, grabbing my purse from the passenger seat and hopping down the car. The air is freezing, and my breath comes out in big foggy clouds. “I don’t want to make cheap excuses. You deserve more than that. What about tomorrow? We can get lunch together and then work on our project, if you’re both available.”

“Lunch is on you?” Solar’s muffled voice asks.

I nod, even though she can’t see me. “Lunch is on me. What do you say?”

“You don’t have to” Pilly intervenes. “But it’s a good idea,
nonetheless. Where do we want to meet up? At what time?”

We figure out the specifics as I enter the building and make my way to the changing rooms, and by the time I’ve pushed my stuff inside the locker, we’re all settled.

“Sorry again, guys” I mumble, biting the inside of my cheeks. “I promise I’ll do better.”

“Just don’t blow us off again and we’re good. See you tomorrow!”

“See you tomorrow. Love you!”

Just before I can change into tonight’s outfit—a glittery silver leotard with a deep neckline and shiny high heels—Kanny bursts through the door, eyes scanning the room. When they lock on mine, a faint smile appears on her lips. “Good, you’re already here.”