𝖈𝖍𝖆𝖕𝖙𝖊𝖗 25

New York is pretty.

It’s the end of November, so the city has already started to dress up in Christmas lights and decorations, and it feels magical to witness it in real life.

“It’s huge” solar says, eyes scanning the Christmas tree in Rockefeller Center. “I thought it was all camera angles and optical illusions, but this is actually gigantic.”

It is: the tree is majestic, with its size and the thousands of sparkly lights illuminating the cold night. I take a picture with my phone and start to send it to Jungkook, but at the last moment, I refrain. We’re not on speaking terms, right now. Well, to be exact, I’m not on speaking terms with him— he’s still trying to reach out, begging me to talk to him, to reconsider. I told him I’m not ending things, I just… I need some time. Things evolved so quickly between the two of us that I’m still trying to adjust, to understand the strong feelings I have for him, and if I actually want him to transform me. One thing’s for sure: I don’t want to spend the rest of eternity with someone who expects me to live under a glass bell, someone who thinks I’m in constant danger and that I need to be protected. Someone who wants to control me.

“Y/n, hey.” Pilly clears her throat as she pushes a wool beanie over her big, fluffy curls. “Are you okay?”

I nod with way too much enthusiasm. “Yeah, sorry, lost in my thoughts. What’s going on?”

“We were saying it would be nice to skate” she says, pointing at the big ice skating rink next to us. “Before we go grab some drinks. What do you think?”

“That’s a great idea” I reply, plastering a big smile on my face.
“Let’s go!”

Pilly and Solar exchange a look I can’t quite understand. They know something’s going on with Jungkook, because they’ve seen me decline his calls and ignore his messages in the past few days, before we made it to NYC, but I haven’t said a word about it. We’re having this little trip to celebrate Pilly’s birthday and I don’t want to ruin it with my whines.
Things seem to have calmed down, though: it’s been a couple of days and Jungkook has stopped trying to contact me. I’m glad he’s realizing I need some time alone to think and decompress, but at the same time…

What if he changed his mind? What if it’s him the one who doesn’t want to be with me anymore?

“Man, I’m really looking forward to those drinks.” Solar snickers, wiggling her eyebrows in my direction. “You are too, you just don’t know it yet.”

I frown. “What do you mean?” Before she can add anything else, Pilly drags her away to buy the tickets, scolding her under her breath.

Oh, well. They’ve probably found out about my situation with Jungkook —I should’ve tried to be more subtle about it.
After purchasing the tickets and renting skates for the three of us,we finally enter the ice rink. We spend our time slipping and stumbling,clinging to each other to avoid disastrous falls, but most of all, we laugh.

“Solar, you’re literally an athlete” I wheeze, trying to balance myself with Solar’s dead weight holding onto my jacket’s hood. “How comes you’re so bad at this?”

“I’m a cheerleader!” she shouts, frantically moving her feet to try and stay afoot. “This has nothing to do with cheerleading, the ground is slippery!” Pilly is doubled over.
“It’s ice, of course it’s slippery” she points out, before she starts howling with laughter again.

“Ohhh, I didn’t realize you two were ice-skating world champions” Solar snaps. “I can’t…” But all this fuss makes her lose her balance onceand for all: her right foot slides too far ahead, and she starts falling. Not before grabbing anything she can on her way down—my arm and Pilly’s coat being on top of the list.